LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Mid tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid tube headers

When installing mid tube pacesetters what needs to be removed in order to get them in. is it the same as LT's or is there more room to get them in. do i need to remove spark plugs or can i leave them in they have less than 1000 miles on them so it is pointless to replace them. and i am going to run a cutout after the ypipe in place of the cat do you think that is enough back pressure. because LT's you need at least 8" after the collector but they are also vary free flowing. Any thing i should be prepaired for when installing them.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did BBK Mids. I only had to remove the lower steering shaft and the stock y-pipe. Had a custom pipe made after install. It really helps to remove plug wires. I simply taped and numbered them (idiot proofed). Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

thanks but i am starting to turn to long tubes
Old 03-25-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Longtubes > all
Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95Banshee
thanks but i am starting to turn to long tubes
A wise decision, Grasshopper!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Bring lots and lots of beer, band-aids, and friends.... You will be in for a hell of a job.

There are lots of threads about putting headers in. Let me hit some highlights.

Height is the key, a lift is best, but you will be able to do it with jacks. If you can't get the pass side to fit, remove the pass side motor mount bolt and jack the motor up.

Take your spark plugs out, you don't want to go breaking any of those.

Take your time, don't set a date that you think you can have it done by, you will just be dissapointed by setbacks.

Nothing wrong with cutouts right after the headers, 8" should be fine for offroad, but it will get very loud.

Save yourself a headache and either put hollowed out cats or bullet mufflers to pass for cats, we don't want people knowing that we are killing the atmoshere now do we?

I know i missed some, maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Deisions decisions decisions. Gotta love em !! Just don't go shortys it pointless kinda like buying a bike with one wheel!! I am stuck between mids and lts... I know for sure safe ur self some skin bruises and knuckles and take off the alternator..that I do know but not sure about the rest..I'm fixing to do my first set of headers!! Anyone wanna help!!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sry, don't feel like driving 4 hours just to get the **** kicked out of me by some headers...
Old 03-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Launching!

There's a way to solve that... Case of beer!! is on me !! Lol I'm fixing to hang up my bud light pool table light. Over my pool table in the garage as well so when I get pissed I can take a break drink a beer and play some pool!!! Its gonna get Interesting
Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

i work at a shop and am good at fixing and installing thinhs. i accully like doing things the hard way. installation is half the fun. and what is so hard about installing lt's its just a step by step prosess as far as i know.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i work at a shop and am good at fixing and installing thinhs. i accully like doing things the hard way. installation is half the fun. and what is so hard about installing lt's its just a step by step prosess as far as i know.
So that means no beer (can't drink at work)
Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

My LT's werent that hard, but my trans was off(some call that cheating)
Old 03-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Well I can drink in my drive and garage and cuss up. A storm and my neighbor would be out drinking and laughing his *** off at me lol
Old 03-25-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would be to ^^^^ just cause i been there, and know how shitty it is, my weekend header install turned into a 2 week ordeal....
Old 03-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Launching!

I bet u used every cuss word in the book huh lol! I did whenever I replaced the power steering pump lol all cause of one pipe nut lol
Old 04-05-2008, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

if you are going to lift up the ps of the engine and install from the botem why do you need to take off the alternator
Old 04-05-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you are going to lift up the ps of the engine and install from the botem why do you need to take off the alternator
Believe them when they say take off the alt., it takes know time & makes access to the front off the manifold/header much easier, i'll tell ya, i'm new to these cars myself, i just purchased some PS LTs & an ORY for my 97, it didn't take that long to tear it all down along with the factory Y & twin cats, piece of cake, you'll need to remove the oil stick tube & stering knuckle, loosen both ends, then slip it up off the Racket pinion & lay it aside, the biggest issue you'll have IMO are the Pass side plug wires, if you haven't allready, nows the time to replace them, i just cut mine in half & pulled them through, they were original, i should have went with a universal set so i could route them OTVC, but i got direct fit 10.2 MM, yes 10.2 , i'm sure i'll be playing hell trying to figure the pass side out, but the D side should be a no brainer, Go long tubes, you'll be much happier from what i've heard, if i can do this, so can you, just take your time & you'll be done before you know it, i'll keep you up to date on how my installation goes & give you tips, i have mine on 4 stands & way up high, then i'll lift the front as i need to as needed.

Be very careful with the manifold bolts, so they don't snap off.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

take pictures, and i am going to go through two cans of pb blaster so they may just fall off when i am done with them
Old 04-06-2008, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

take pictures, and i am going to go through two cans of pb blaster so they may just fall off when i am done with them

I'll take pix of before & after for ya, i'm sure (well hopeing) they will slip right in, there seems to be plenty of room, & this is not my first time around the block with header installs, try putting a set of fenderwells in a BB Duster or Dart , fun, fun, fun.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't sweat the header install, its a piece of cake, i'll need to go back & take some pix, like always, left the dig. camera at home, you'll spend more time takeing the old **** off, i'll say, Pacesetter makes a nice header, WELL worth the price, the only spot that i found that touches is right at the pass side engine mount, there is a tab that sticks up & the tube is right there & touches it, i'll try & notch it with a pry bar alittle, the spark plugs (oh my god lol), i can't beleive how easy they are to get too, now i installed them in just over an hour, that was cleaning the gasket area of the heads & removeing the dip stick tube, this is BY FAR one of the easiest cars to put LT headers on IMO, at least the PS LTs, so start getting after it, i'll keep you up-dated on chit

Quick Reply: Mid tube headers