Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Converter Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 07:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Converter Question

I wanna put together my Monte with the LQ4 to run this season, NA. Late summer/early fall I plan on ripping the car apart to do a budget turbo build. I plan on around 10-12psi and 550-600rwhp.

I really do not want to end up buying two converters. Id like to pick a converter that will work well in both applications. I was originally looking at an SS4000 or PT4000 to run NA but I'm leaning more towards the SS3600 now. The PT4000 would be too loose for boost.

From what I've read, the PY3400E is a great boost friendly converter but out of boost (or NA) it leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm looking to see how many people have run the SS series, particularly the SS3600 with boost. I don't plan on locking it up in either application but I just dont want to spend $700 now, then $900 in 6 months.

NA Im running 4.10 gears, when I build the turbo setup I plan on stepping down to a 3.42 to help create better loading.

Or I've also looked at the Vig converters. If I were to run a single disc setup, as long as I didnt lock up the converter would it really matter whether it was a single or multidisc setup? Its almost a $300 price difference.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It is going to be tough to get 1 converter to perform for both applications. If you are willing to sacrifice with the NA setup, then it might be do-able. You might want to rethink the lock up. It depends on how your torque curve is, but with a power adder like that, you might benefit from lock it up.

Chris
Old 03-24-2008, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Circle-D
You might want to rethink the lock up. It depends on how your torque curve is, but with a power adder like that, you might benefit from lock it up.

Chris
I agree.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:29 AM
On The Tree

So either a single disc yank or single disc vig wont really be able to stand up to the lockup abuse under WOT. So I'm either looking at a PY series or a multidisc vig.

For those who have the PY3400E, how does it perform NA?
Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2Monte
So either a single disc yank or single disc vig wont really be able to stand up to the lockup abuse under WOT. So I'm either looking at a PY series or a multidisc vig.

For those who have the PY3400E, how does it perform NA?
I have a new multi disk as well. 3 Disk setup for WOT lock up. I will be posting pictures of it in a few.

Chris
Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Who has locked up their Vig single disck under WOT running NA? And if so, what kind of power are you making?

I think Im gonna go with precision as they offer a free restall. I can spec it for my combo now and then have it gone through in the fall for the new combo. I can upgrade to multidsic then too.