Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Good News!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good News!

Soooooo I just did a check on my gears in the 97 c5 and they are 2.73's! I was hoping for this, so that I could change them and make it pull like a freight train down low. So now...onto business. I am going to do a gear swap. Should I do the gears or the whole differential? Labor is going to be done by the chevrolet dealership in my town.

After that question is answered, I have some options as to what gear ratio to install. Minimum is going to be 3.42, has anyone gone 3.73 or 3.90 in an AUTOMATIC before? If so, results? thoughts? regrets?

Ok and that brings me to another question, I have plans down the road to replace my 346 with a 408 or so, while im messing around with the differential would it be an ideal time to replace my rearend with something stronger? or would it not be that much more convienent?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on what you want to do with the car. Are you planning to race the car a lot or just play around on the street?

If you plan to race, I would skip right to a built rear end now. That way you can just be done with it and concentrate on other things - like your engine. DTE has quite a few options for built rear ends - here's a link through Thunder Racing http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=7&pcid=66

If you're only going to be playing around on the street, then I would just stick with doing gears. 3.73s are the standard choice for automatics.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

street only no track, 3.73's over 3.42's? car will see decent amount of highway time. Any mpg #'s from 3.73's?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by largeitalian
street only no track, 3.73's over 3.42's? car will see decent amount of highway time. Any mpg #'s from 3.73's?
If you're strictly a street car, then I would just get the gears done, and the output shaft (I think it is the right side that tends to break). That should keep it all together for a while.

I think I'd still go with the 3.73s, but I typically push the envelope on my own things Sorry I can't provide mpg for you, perhaps some folks in the corvette section can provide you with that info. My vette was an M6.