Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

camaro rearend...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation camaro rearend...

i found a rearend out of a 74 camaro is it a 12 bolt or a 10 bolt? and how hard would it be to get it to work in my 95 trans am?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

verry
Old 03-25-2008, 08:10 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97badass
i found a rearend out of a 74 camaro is it a 12 bolt or a 10 bolt?
count the bolts on the differential cover. Are there 10 or 12 of them?
and how hard would it be to get it to work in my 95 trans am?
too hard to make it worth worrying about it.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

i cant see the rearend...and wtf! what 12 bolts do you guys use in your cars!!! im not about to spend $2500-3k for a damn rearend! if i can find one the right length ive got the know-how to convert it...and if i cant...i know a guy that would do it for me... i keep finding rearends all over the place for under $100 what 12 bolts should i be looking for that will work in my car with little modification?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

If the rear end out of the 1974 camaro was original to the car it is a 10 bolt 8.5.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

i cant see the rearend...and wtf! what 12 bolts do you guys use in your cars!!! im not about to spend $2500-3k for a damn rearend! if i can find one the right length ive got the know-how to convert it...and if i cant...i know a guy that would do it for me... i keep finding rearends all over the place for under $100 what 12 bolts should i be looking for that will work in my car with little modification?
The problem is the torque arm mount. Its hard to fab the right set up. Your best bet is to buy a 9" houseing and axle package, then building your own 3rd member, or buying a used one. Thats about the cheapest route you can get.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, don't try to make your car fast then. You ever hear the old phrase "You gotta pay to play", well that holds true on these cars when it comes to rearends. If you want something thats gonna last, your gonna have to take the hit & pay for it.

If you have the time & knowledge to convert it, more power to ya. Or if you have a guy who will do it cheap or free more power to ya. But the average guy who doesn't know how to do the required fabrication changes or know anyone who will do it for them will spend more after buying the wrong rear & paying someone else to fix it & freshen it up than he would buying new with a warranty.

And you gotta remember those old rears ends were not in a torque arm suspension style vechicle. So there will be quite a bit of fabrication work. It's not gonna be as easy as you think.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
LOL, don't try to make your car fast then. You ever hear the old phrase "You gotta pay to play", well that holds true on these cars when it comes to rearends. If you want something thats gonna last, your gonna have to take the hit & pay for it.

If you have the time & knowledge to convert it, more power to ya. Or if you have a guy who will do it cheap or free more power to ya. But the average guy who doesn't know how to do the required fabrication changes or know anyone who will do it for them will spend more after buying the wrong rear & paying someone else to fix it & freshen it up than he would buying new with a warranty.

And you gotta remember those old rears ends were not in a torque arm suspension style vechicle. So there will be quite a bit of fabrication work. It's not gonna be as easy as you think.
i know allllll about the pay to play game but some times you have to draw the line on the paying and i can have a 9'' for a lot less than $2k but the guy that can do the work for me is in missouri and im in idaho at the moment... but its ok because im not starting my build untill may/june...and by then i will be in missouri again
Old 03-25-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

i know allllll about the pay to play game but some times you have to draw the line on the paying and i can have a 9'' for a lot less than $2k but the guy that can do the work for me is in missouri and im in idaho at the moment... but its ok because im not starting my build untill may/june...and by then i will be in missouri again
Don't you think 95% of us that did lay down the money were not sick when we did? If there was a better alternative don't you think everyone would have them in our cars?
If you do not want to spend that much find a used one that someone is selling (either to put their car back to stock Or to sell it from a wrecked car) In any instance you will not get away with a $500 rearend.

And to answer your first question, a 74 camaro rear end is a 8.5" 10 bolt Probly with no posi and 2.73 or 3.07 gears.

Last edited by Jays00ss; 03-25-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jays00ss
Don't you think 95% of us that did lay down the money were not sick when we did? If there was a better alternative don't you think everyone would have them in our cars?
If you do not want to spend that much find a used one that someone is selling (either to put their car back to stock Or to sell it from a wrecked car) In any instance you will not get away with a $500 rearend.

And to answer your first question, a 74 camaro rear end is a 8.5" 10 bolt Probly with no posi and 2.73 gears.
you just made me sick! j/k i guess the rearend can wait a while.....but i ask these questions because i keep finding rearends for like $50 and i thought i could either use them on my car...or sell them on ebay or something and make some cash. bbut i see everyone using 12 bolts... those come from a factory car right?
Old 03-25-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

you just made me sick! j/k i guess the rearend can wait a while.....but i ask these questions because i keep finding rearends for like $50 and i thought i could either use them on my car...or sell them on ebay or something and make some cash. bbut i see everyone using 12 bolts... those come from a factory car right?
The 12 bolts, 9" and s-60's that everyone is useing either come from Strange, Moser, Currie enterprises, Mark Williams, Or a few others. GM did not make a 12 bolt for the 4th gen f-body.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

74 camaro uses a 10 bolt 8.5 rear with leaf and upper countol arms right? If so there are no coil spring perches, no panhard bar mounts and no torque arm mounts. The rear is also more narrow than a 4th gen, it doesnt have backing plate flanges for disc brakes as they were drums, no ABS reluctor rings so ABS and traction control wont work and if the pumpkin is a larger diameter it may even hit the floor of the car. You may have better luck taking the rear out of your grandmothers Granada. Search custom 8.8 mustang rears for f-bodys and contact members CAM or STUDYTIME and they may even make you one cheap. http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=434580
Old 03-25-2008, 02:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jays00ss
The 12 bolts, 9" and s-60's that everyone is useing either come from Strange, Moser, Currie enterprises, Mark Williams, Or a few others. GM did not make a 12 bolt for the 4th gen f-body.
Exactly.

The end point is your not gonna find a used stock rear that won't require major fabrication changes & torque arm provision from ANY older cars.

Like stated above, the cheapest way to build a 9" rear would be buy the axle/housing package from Moser for about $1000 shipped & then grab a ebay center. That will be a stronger rear end combo than stock & should last you a while. Then later you can upgrade your center section to hold more power & be done.

Other options for rear ends are what I qouted above from the other member, but they will be north of $2000 when your done.