Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lq4 with ls1 intake

Old 03-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq4 with ls1 intake

not having much luck finding the answer i'm looking for. I need the ls1 intake on the lq4 swap I've started buying parts for. From what I've read:

lq4 injectors wont fit in the ls1 intake.

ls1 injectors wont plug into the lq4 harness.

lq4 fuel rail wont fit ls1 intake.

Tell me if all of these are true or false. Now the fuel rail thing isnt such a big deal to me, but the other two are. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I run the ls1 injectors the lq4 computer will have to be retuned (lq4 has bigger injectors right?). Do I have to run a ls1 harness and/or pcm to make it work? Is there a way to use the lq4 injectors in the ls1 manifold? Is there a way to hook the ls1 injectors into the lq4 wire harness? whats reccommended? thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

I cannot answer your question, but...

If you are running the truck acc. drive then the LS1 manifold will conflict that way also.

If you are selling the truck acc drive (P/S pump, ALT, Tensioner, bracketry) let me know...
I'm in the market.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

What you have doesnt sound wrong. So you would have an LS intake/ LS style injectors and an Ls harness ( or atleast a moded harness for the injectors ) - but you'll have an Lq longblock. What type of car is this going in. You dont have to use any specific PCM, but which one you use might have to be tuned accordingly. ( unless you got LS aftermarket injectors of similar output to the LQ - if u are using the lq pcm. ) - I would have to double check my service manuals to see what would and wouldnt fit, and what size everything is. I'll try to do that at the end of the day and get back on here.

I wouldnt say anything is recommended though. - When you do mix and match you have to more decide what you need. -

Last edited by BuffJoeyD; 03-25-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ssxmac
not having much luck finding the answer i'm looking for. I need the ls1 intake on the lq4 swap I've started buying parts for. From what I've read:

Tell me if all of these are true or false. Now the fuel rail thing isnt such a big deal to me, but the other two are. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I run the ls1 injectors the lq4 computer will have to be retuned (lq4 has bigger injectors right?). Do I have to run a ls1 harness and/or pcm to make it work? Is there a way to use the lq4 injectors in the ls1 manifold? Is there a way to hook the ls1 injectors into the lq4 wire harness? whats reccommended? thanks.
The truck injectors do use a different connector and are different a length, not sure which is shorter, but I think the car injectors are shorter. They should have the same O rings so they are interchangeable from that standpoint. Truck fuel rail doesnt fit. Some folks use a Corvette fuel rail. I tried an Fbody fuel rail and there was an inetrference at the #5 coil pack. I switched to FAST rails and that solved the problem. The throttle body will interfere with the truck water pump outlet and you have to relocate the idler pulley. A bracket is available from Speartech. You can use an LS1 water pump if you space out the pump, Speartech made some spacers for me. I had posted some pics regarding thsi swap, I will search and see if I can find the link. Here is the link. http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...6&referrerid=0
As has been mentioned, go to the performance truck site and search. A lot of new info since I did my swap.

Last edited by george88gta; 03-25-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: add link
Old 03-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Launching!

I know of a number of people and at least one write up of an ls6 intake swap on this motor. It seems like that might be the easier approach and from what i have heard yield better performance.

I have not done it so take this with a big grain of salt.

The write up on the swap is on ls1truck.com
Old 03-25-2008, 11:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

actually the injectors and rail will fit , its ugly as hell but they fit all you need to do is fab up a hold down for the rails, which is what im doing this for the time being, however if you look up the thread DIY for 5.3 guys you can see what i did to make the truck accy bracket work, as for the T/B interfering with the truck W/P you have to options you could use spacers with a f-body W/P pulley. or make a T/B spacer so it can clear the W/P neck, I,ll end up doing the T/B spacer, as the LS1 intake could benefit from some extra plenup volume anyway. ill post pics later in the diy thread i started.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by george88gta
They should have the same O rings so they are interchangeable from that standpoint.
so I can use the lq4 injector in the ls1 intake?

its a 3rd gen camaro swap, I was planning on getting an fbody accessory drive and using that, is it cheaper to do the set up in the link you sent?

How did you end up getting the TV cable to work?

I'm just starting to aquire parts, so nothings for sale yet.

Last edited by ssxmac; 03-25-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so I can use the lq4 injector in the ls1 intake?

its a 3rd gen camaro swap, I was planning on getting an fbody accessory drive and using that, is it cheaper to do the set up in the link you sent?

How did you end up getting the TV cable to work?

I'm just starting to aquire parts, so nothings for sale yet.
The truck injectors will fit, but the flow rate is diferent from the LS1. You will have to get the PCM retuned anyway, so just make note of the injector swap. As mentioned, the truck and LS1 injectors have different connectors so you will have to match them up. Cost to use my method with the truck water pump, was just labor, to cut the mounting bracket and the idler pulley adapter from Speartech ( less than $100). Didnt get the TV cable issue worked out yet, but the LS1 intake I had came with a bracket for the cruise control and that looks like an easy mock up. Check your clearances. The Fbody mounts the alternator at the lower left ( driver side of engine) and that may interfere with the K member. The truck has the power steering pump in that location and it cleared my K member . The AC compressor wil hit the K member so you have to notch the K member or get a relocation kit.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

There are adapters I think u can get from SD parts for the injectors,- I wouldnt know about the rail, because I am using a 97 corvette rail- on a 98 ls1 intake, with the ls1 injectors.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Is there somewhere I can find more info about adapting the truck accessories to clear the LS1 intake? How about a place where the brackets/conversion parts are available? I didn't see anything on Speartech's website or by searching.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:44 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

try this thread
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...ries+speartech

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lq4 with ls1 intake