PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange A/C problem already had one shop attempt to fix it, apparently PCM related???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange A/C problem already had one shop attempt to fix it, apparently PCM related???

Well about two years, this problem started where the A/C does not turn on sometimes. I found that if I would rev' the engine pass the 4000 rpm mark sometimes it would come back on. This problem started when I was driving and lost both of my belts(I quickly pulled over). After installing, new belts my A/C began having the above issue. Well since then I have taken it to a A/C shop and they said the coil for the clutch was bad. And they replaced the entire clutch for not much more than replacing just the coil, which was fine. But now they are saying that there is a ground problem with the A/C. And when supplied a ground the A/C would turn on. They said they do not believe it is a high or low pressure sensor, and it was beyond their scope. They told me I need to take to the dealership and have the PCM checked, and they believed there is something wrong with the PCM.
After discussing this with them for quite sometime, I explained my frustration that I am going to have to pay another business to diagnose this problem, and they said they would refund the diagnosis fee, as I explained I do not have a problem paying for labor and parts if they will help correct the problem.

So what in the world do I do? Just find another shop, take to the dealership?
I cannot believe my PCM is bad, at this point though.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say a pressure switch is bad, You can bypass it on the high side and see if it works.. On the old trucks this used to be a problem. If you jump it though, the condensor will freeze solid on a long trip, you have to shut off the ac for a few minutes and then it will work again. But i would say just replace the pressure switch and it will be good.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say a pressure switch is bad, You can bypass it on the high side and see if it works.. On the old trucks this used to be a problem. If you jump it though, the condensor will freeze solid on a long trip, you have to shut off the ac for a few minutes and then it will work again. But i would say just replace the pressure switch and it will be good.
well I am really thinking you are right. the manager of the shop told me they hooked a ground directly to the clutch and the A/C would then turn on; yet at the same time, he was assuring me they tested all the sensors and relays. I told the manager there that I spoke with someone that specializes in PCMs after talking to you on the phone earlier, and he simply kept insisting he thought, as he was not sure, it was the PCM.

I mean I can get a new gm ecm for 160, and the pressure sensor(gm) is 35, so neither is that expensive. I just would like to buy the correct part.

and thanks again
I appreciate the help