Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought a ported tb and...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default just bought a ported tb and...

it looks like it has been ported to far and filled with jb weld, the seller didnt tell me anything about this, its very obvious, here are some pictures to show what im talking about, i paid $85 for this and im mad

has anyone else had this problem? will it cause problems? will the drilled holes affect anything?

here are some pics.

it also looks like the bumpstop mod was done, he didnt say anything about it, so i dont know if it was done right or not.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

he tells me he didnt notice it, i think its pretty obvious
Old 03-25-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, thats pretty shady of the seller, however I dont think your in any danger what so ever. It will function fine and perform just as well as any other. Just sucks that the seller tried to lie to you about it.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea, i mailed him back, if i ever go to sell it i wont get very much for it because i will tell the person im selling it to about the jb weld, id rather just get my money back and buy from someone else. he says it was his friends tb and he was selling it for him, but i gave him the money and he sent it to me, now hes telling me to talk to his friend.

heres a couple better ones.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks man! It looks like it will be functional at least. Definitely not very pretty but should pick up a couple of hp.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrisok1
That sucks man! It looks like it will be functional at least. Definitely not very pretty but should pick up a couple of hp.
yea, but i paid $85 for it...that sux
Old 03-25-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that's a shitty port job too, still has some beef around the lip, and also i bet the blade isnt knife edged huh
Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its idling at 2500 now, what the hell...

heres what he said...
Whoa. Hold up.

You can ask anyone on this board that tons of people epoxy TBs when porting.
I sold you a fully functioning ported throttle body that came off of a running car. I know he didn't sell it to you, I wasn't trying to get him involved, I was trying to get him to assure you that the TB worked great and was a good piece.
I didn't get pics posted up because my car and parts for it (currently down) are about 30 mins away at a friends house and I didn't have time to get out there and take pics of it that week I put it up for sale. Besides, you didn't even ask me for any pictures of it. I really hadn't looked it over and didn't even have a chance to pull it off the intake until after you sent payment. I knew it was good because it worked well on his car and I had fully intended to use it until another friend sold me his shaner s3 for $50. Who wouldn't turn that down.

I didn't sell you defective throttle body, it works just fine, and will give you the same outcome and performance any hand-ported throttle body will.

I am not refunding your money. You can give me a negative rating on here if you want to, but I sold you a functioning part that is in fine working condition. I'm sorry, I don't sell junk and don't feel it's a junk part.

I'm sure you can sell it and find another if you choose to, but just like any parts store or ebay part, I'm not going to give you your money back on something that is not defective. I'm sorry.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by firechicken76
its idling at 2500 now, what the hell...

heres what he said...
Whoa. Hold up.

You can ask anyone on this board that tons of people epoxy TBs when porting.
I sold you a fully functioning ported throttle body that came off of a running car. I know he didn't sell it to you, I wasn't trying to get him involved, I was trying to get him to assure you that the TB worked great and was a good piece.
I didn't get pics posted up because my car and parts for it (currently down) are about 30 mins away at a friends house and I didn't have time to get out there and take pics of it that week I put it up for sale. Besides, you didn't even ask me for any pictures of it. I really hadn't looked it over and didn't even have a chance to pull it off the intake until after you sent payment. I knew it was good because it worked well on his car and I had fully intended to use it until another friend sold me his shaner s3 for $50. Who wouldn't turn that down.

I didn't sell you defective throttle body, it works just fine, and will give you the same outcome and performance any hand-ported throttle body will.

I am not refunding your money. You can give me a negative rating on here if you want to, but I sold you a functioning part that is in fine working condition. I'm sorry, I don't sell junk and don't feel it's a junk part.

I'm sure you can sell it and find another if you choose to, but just like any parts store or ebay part, I'm not going to give you your money back on something that is not defective. I'm sorry.
Wow, that guy sounds like a real winner.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -LS1-
Wow, that guy sounds like a real winner.
I sent a nice letter to him kindly asking him for my money back, i dont think im going to get it, after looking over the tb i noticed an extra hole in the tb blade, probably whats causing it to idle at 2500, i just installed my stock one and the car runs the same as it did before the swap.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by firechicken76
I sent a nice letter to him kindly asking him for my money back, i dont think im going to get it, after looking over the tb i noticed an extra hole in the tb blade, probably whats causing it to idle at 2500, i just installed my stock one and the car runs the same as it did before the swap.
Hey, if it has an extra hole in the throttle blade, just swap blades. Go down to Autozone and buy a star wrench (i forget what size it is) and swap the blade. Super easy. The other thing-make sure they didn't port the area right where the blade closes. That seal needs to be just like stock or the idle will go up because it is letting air in around the blade when it is closed.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another common issue is that theres epoxy and crap keeping the IAC plunger from sealing correctly. Some people do a messy job and dont scrape the crap out of there and the IAC cant close enough.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pretty shitty.. its getting to where you don't want to buy anything onthe internet anymore.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:33 AM
Launching!

Wowsers, that sucks man. I don't think he did the Bumpstop mod though. I think the setscrew you took a picture of is the idle adjustment. Also, could u take a picture of the top of the opening? Did the TB come with all the sensors? 2500 seems awful high unless he did as chrisok1 said and ported past the butterfly.