Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lost oil pressure, but it came back at restart

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lost oil pressure, but it came back at restart

I was slowing down for the stoplight by my apartment. Suddenly, the steering almost went out and I had a check gauges light. I noticed I had NO oil pressure! I should have check my rpm and everything, but I panicked and shut it down. I restarted the car and had perfect oil pressure. So I went ahead and turned into my apartment. The car seemed to run fine. It's about 1/4 mile from the front gate to my apartment building. When I got out of the car and popped the hood, there was some smoke coming from the front of the engine on the passenger side. I couldn't tell exactly where the smoke was coming from. I went ahead and took my beer and ice into the apartment and came back out with a fire extinguisher, just in case. The car was still a little smokey, and it smelled weird...almost like a burnt clutch. I'm thinking it could be a spun bearing. But then again, maybe not because it ran fine. Maybe the oil pump is going out. But where did the smoke come from? I didn't hear any valve rattle or anything like that. I know LS1s had oil pump issues. I checked the oil. It was a little low, but not low enough to cause a problem. I'm going to add a quart in a little while and crank it up. Maybe the oil pickup wasn't submerged or something. Who knows? Any ideas? Sending unit? Loose filter?
Old 03-25-2008, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if your steering went out then the accessory belt stopped spinning which meant the crank wasn't spinning which means the oil pump isn't working which means no oil pressure and check gauges would be on.

Clutch smells a little worse than brakes, but similar in smell.

Find out where the smoke was coming from, try to figure out if it's oil burning or not. Spun bearing will usually cause a knock to come from the engine along with little to no oil pressure or at least cause it to fluctuate wildly.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

maybe burnt wires? Obviously if the steering went out, your car probably died you just didn't realize it. I see you have headers, maybe melted some of your wires. It has a strange smell to it... ask me how i know.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the serpentine belt itself or one of the pulleys it drives?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

AC compressor is busted and leaking oil. The pulley must have frozen up and kept the belt from turning. That would explain the steering going out and the oil pressure dropping.

The puddle:

The leak (notice the bubble):
Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

The belt doesn't have anything to do with oil pressure. The pump is driven by the crank. maybe the car died when you were coming to a stop and that was why you had the lights, no steering and no oil psi.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SladeX
if your steering went out then the accessory belt stopped spinning which meant the crank wasn't spinning which means the oil pump isn't working which means no oil pressure and check gauges would be on.

Clutch smells a little worse than brakes, but similar in smell.

Find out where the smoke was coming from, try to figure out if it's oil burning or not. Spun bearing will usually cause a knock to come from the engine along with little to no oil pressure or at least cause it to fluctuate wildly.
your not serious are you?? first off all the crank drives the accessories it is always spinning when the car is running, theres no way it couldnt spin. Secondly the oil pump is in no way connected the serp. belt.

I dont know maybe its the way you worded it that has me confused.. lol

Quick Reply: lost oil pressure, but it came back at restart