Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Oil Pressure After Head and Cam Install

Old 03-25-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default No Oil Pressure After Head and Cam Install

Not sure what's up with my setup but I have lost complete oil pressure after the new heads and cam went on. New heads went on along with a bigger cam and 7.400" pushrods. After the installation we primed the motor and finally turned it on and had oil pressure. Everything looked normal so I took the car for a spin and the car sounded really muffled and bogged down. I installed the original pushrods that were in the car at first which were 7.350" and still had oil pressure. Car still sounded muffled and bogged so I stopped back home and oil pressure started to drop.

At this time we have hooked up a mechanical gauge and there is no oil going to it. We opened up the pump and everything seemed to look fine. We tried cranking with the valvecovers off and there is no oil coming out from the top end.

Should I just replace the pump and see what happens? The o ring on the pick up looked fine. We removed the pan and there were no metal shavings and no copper ones either. We pulled the rod bearings and they looked fine also. Today we pulled the cam back out and there arent any marks on it or anything.

What next?
Old 06-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, what did you ever find out on this? I recently has 0 oil P after a head/cam swap. Wasn't the o-ring. After 4 months of being pissed and letting it sit, finally pulled the engine. Found that some remaining cam preservative had clogged the pick-up tube. I've been searching like crazy to see if anyone else has had this problem, but so far I'm the only dumbass of this caliber...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Oil Pressure After Head and Cam Install