Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

broke a spool or center section?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default broke a spool or center section?

okay guys i need some help. to start off i bought a moser 9" with back brace, spool, prostreet gears, and drilled star axles from someone here on the forums (first mistake). well now that everything is installed, it drives amazing until i go backwards or turn. now i know what a spool is suppose to feel like and something is up. when i turn going forward it feels like it catches on something. when i go backwards or turn backwards, if actually stops. when i give it more gas it will jar and brake loose. i took it to my fabrictor to work on more of the cage and he heard it abd told me he has never heard a spool make those nioses. note it is on a et street tire.

my thoughts are that it is either a bend housing or the pinion gear pulled out of place and is moving back into the spool in reverse. however, the center section was set up by moser and then marked, disassebled (for powder coating), and reassebled to what it was set to.

what do you guys think and have anyone had this experience. i am scared i lost 3000 dollars on a bum rear from someone on here.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe not a spool maybe a locker....
Old 03-26-2008, 05:06 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by daniel6718
maybe not a spool maybe a locker....
That was what I was thinking. If it is a locker it sounds normal to me.
Is this a new rear? If it is, get in touch with who you purchased it through. Bob
Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My spooled rear makes noise when turning, its just the play in the splines and gears that you are hearing. When you are backing up and it stops its just the rear loading the tires to just before the tires break loose.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

I drove with a spool and 33x16.5 slicks, I never noticed any weird noises and when making sharp turns or reversing and turning you have to give it a little gas, be careful with a spool though, you give it a lot of gas it'll just push the car forward even with the tires turned all the way, I know I did it once lol.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

If theres play in the splines you'd have big problems so needless to say that isnt an accurate statement...the wheels turn at different speeds and a spool prevents that from happening without making alot of other things unhappy
Old 03-26-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude i work at an off road shop, we install all kinds of lockers almost weekly and your car sounds exactly like a Detroit Locker. I ve driven all kinds of cars and trucks with Detroits and thats what I'm callin it.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

God I could make a fortune selling and fixing rear ends to people who have no idea of what they want what they got or a way to fix it..
Old 03-26-2008, 10:02 PM
10 Second Club

thanks all, it is a SPOOL and i figured it out. when i installed the lug nuts it backed out a wheel stud and was hitting the inside thanks for the help though.

also, i know what a detriot locker feels like and it was not the locking in reverse and release like they do.