Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Read if you have Centerforce Clutch. What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Read if you have Centerforce Clutch. What do you think?

08-20-06, 07:37 PM
I had a problem with a recent Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch DF611679

The car wouldn't want to shift above 5000rpm except with a full granny shift.

I was getting nowhere with centerforce tech support.

My friend Topless Stang sent me a link to one of Anthony 05GT's posts.

I PM'd him and we went back and forth for a day or so.

With this new found information that the part was redesigned in hand I called back Centerforce and they were still denying that anything was wrong with these clutches till I mentioned Anthonys' name.

ToplessStang08-20-06, 07:45 PM
:SNSign:

gp00108-20-06, 08:03 PM
:nice: :nice:

Oh, and I closed your duplicate post since this one already had a reply

bigcat08-20-06, 08:05 PM
:banana: glad everything worked out for you!

anthony05gt08-21-06, 03:14 PM
You're welcome! I knew they'd move if you had the right information. It costs them money to admit a bad design.

I would like to say again that the newest Centerforce dual friction clutch is the best package available now. I know because I can actually shift at high rpm's.

tom28108-21-06, 05:07 PM
This is great information, along with all the helpful stuff posted previously by anthony05gt. For someone like me who is in the market for a new clutch, this info is priceless.

Thanks to all for sharing the advice!

Tom

steedastang0609-03-06, 07:49 AM
I just installed the above mentioned Clutch and have the SAME problem.. the higher the RPM's the harder it is to shift. Is there an updated clutch i can get from centerforce or is there just a mod i have to do because this 3000 rpm shifting is driving me nuts!!

anthony05gt09-03-06, 10:09 AM
If your clutch begins to engage at about 2" from the floor and is fully engaged by the halfway point you have the crap version. They have redesigned the whole package. The new version has the clutch beginning to engage at 3-4" from the floor and fully engaged by about 3/4 of the way from the floor.

steedastang0609-03-06, 11:13 AM
Ive got the crap version.. how did you guys go about getting the upgraded version?

anthony05gt09-03-06, 03:36 PM
You have to call Midway Industries and raise hell. Tell them that you are aware of the re-engineering of the clutch package and that you are stuck with the crap version. Tell them that it's a lot cheaper for them to eat a few clutch packages than to have their reputation tarnished. They won't admit to any of this unless you are persistant. The squeeky wheel gets the grease. Ask for the warranty dept. and if they don't cooperate ask for the supervisor. Read as much on this Centerforce clutch problem as you can find on the forums and get your facts straight before calling.

steedastang0609-03-06, 03:40 PM
Awesome, ive forwarded this thread to an editor on a magazine called American Car World who sponsors the race series i am in AND also has a 10 second Fox body Stang and he is going to call Centerforce with this info and tell them he is going to write a bad review if they do not send me a GOOD clutch. He was doing a TECH article on changing the clutch on a S197 mustang and i doubt that Centerforce would want readers seeing that..

steedastang0609-08-06, 12:32 AM
The following was sent to Roger @ Centerforce:

"I believe Justin Sharp called you earlier regarding an '06 Mustang Centerforce clutch swap we did last Friday, which we're consequently having problems with. Justin has mentioned the pedal is very low to the floor and changing gear is a problem above 3,000rpm.

We're not sure whether we have the best version of the clutch, given information we've sourced via a Mustang forum, where other Centerforce clutch buyers have experience similar problems.

Because this is for a magazine feature, I want to make sure this works out right for the owner, for us and, ultimately, for Centerforce. I have attached two pics of the clutch taken during the feature, which hopefully will allow you to identify the clutch type. I look forward to hearing from you."

and this was his response:

"Sorry for the delay in returning your email. Thank you for the pictures which helped identify the approximate date in which this assembly was built. Since we released this clutch assembly, we have made a change/improved upon the the linear throwout bearing travel needed to release this assembly. I asked Justine to make sure that all the air in the hydraulic system is out by bleeding the system. We did a install of this clutch prior to releasing the assembly to the public in a 2005 mustang. This particular mustang had provisions to bleed the hydraulic system. We discovered when bleeding the hydraulic system we were able to connect the hydraulic line prior to bolting up the bellhousing, we were able to push the hydraulic throwout bearing back by hand and bleed the system as necessary. If you are experiencing a low clutch engagement system, I would try bleeding the hydraulic system with a phoenix bleed or pressure bleeder.

:shrug:

steedastang0609-08-06, 12:33 AM
we inquired about this phoenix bleeder system and got this response:

"The internal concentric slave cylinder/throwout bearing has a hydraulic line that exits the bellhousing and connected up to a block which had provisions to bleed the hydraulic system. Do you know if the 2006 Ford mustang has provisions to bleed the system. Whenever a disconnecting is made to the hydraulic system, it's almost impossible not to get air into the hydraulics. The way a phoenix bleeder system work can be viewed using this e-mail address www.phxsyss.com/
you can also search other bleeding system/techniques using www.google.com I don't know for certain whether this vehicle has provisions to bleed the system, however, I would think it should because any time a dis-connection is made it's possible to get air in the hydraulics.
Best regards,
Roger"

steedastang0609-08-06, 10:21 AM
Does anyone know if the clutches in the 06 are bleedable? apparently Centerforce says they are but neither the mechanics nor i can find anywhere to do it...

anthony05gt09-08-06, 04:02 PM
I know on my '05 there is a bleeder right at the end of the hydraulic line at the tranny. It's virtually impossible to get to, but it can be done with a 1/4" drive ratchet, long extension and an 11mm swivel socket. I've found the clutch will self bleed just by jacking up the driver's side of the car about 8"-10" and pumping the pedal very slowly for about 5-6 minutes. The problem with the first released DF clutch was the throwout brg and diaphram were too far apart. The newer version has the parts much closer.

steedastang0609-11-06, 11:11 AM
clutch was bled using the method above but the clutch still wont shift at higher rpms... guess ill have to relight the fire under Centerforce to get a clutch replacement...

anthony05gt09-11-06, 09:04 PM
If your pressure plate has a weight between every diaphram finger then you need to get rid of that garbage. The better version has fewer weights and a new design which brings the diaphram coser to the throwout brg.

steedastang0609-12-06, 12:19 AM
here is a photo of the current clutch.. is it good or bad?

anthony05gt09-12-06, 09:47 PM
Let's see a picture of the pressure plate. You know, the orange thing we can barely see next to your clutch in the pic you posted. Take a pic of it with the smooth side down just like it's sitting there in the pic.

steedastang0609-13-06, 01:08 AM
here ya go..

anthony05gt09-13-06, 03:12 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought. It's the piece of crap first version. See the weights in the center that are attached together by the thick wire? The new set up has less weights than that and the whole thing is engineered differently.

steedastang0609-13-06, 03:15 PM
grrr.. youd figure that Centerforce would admit their mistake and recall all the units that were made prior to the new design being released....

thump_rrr09-22-06, 05:55 AM
That is what I call crappy customer service. Call them back and speak to Dick Hill. He's the one that made things right for me. The new version should have 9 weights instead of the 18 you have there. Be warned that yoou will have increased pedal pressure over the setup you currently have. They flew one out to me overnight.

steedastang0609-22-06, 08:18 AM
Well after going back and forth with Roger @ Centerforce they did man up and sent a new one Fed Ex Intl to the performance shop here in the UK that installed the clutch. Im still gonna have to eat the cost for labor but atleast they replaced the clutch for free, which they should have regardless. Their name is a bit tarnished with me now though...
Old 03-27-2008, 03:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I didnt know there were two versions. One good one bad.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the new version (12") and had problems shifting above 5500 when it was pretty new BUT after about 600 street miles on it it drove and shifted better than stock and shifts great at 6500 going through 5 gears.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Centerforce said that my flywheel needed to be balanced but it is the factory OEM FW. It was resurfaced but not balanced. if I was to shift past 5500 rpms w/this clutch I probably would ruin my tranny. I am goin with the LS7 Clutch in about a month or two.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Question

I have the exact same problem with mine. 5500+RPM's and sometimes it will shift, most of the time it will not. So we just contact them about this issue? Do they need pics of the clutch,etc? What would be the steps to remedy this issue? I've had mine installed for about 6-8 months, but I'm really thinking about going with LS7 or Spec 3+. Not impressed with them at all.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00WickedRedTA
I have the exact same problem with mine. 5500+RPM's and sometimes it will shift, most of the time it will not. So we just contact them about this issue? Do they need pics of the clutch,etc? What would be the steps to remedy this issue? I've had mine installed for about 6-8 months, but I'm really thinking about going with LS7 or Spec 3+. Not impressed with them at all.
I am flaming w/ these people. You have to take out the whole clutch and send it to them. They inspect it and will decide if you get a new one or not. Why didn't they originally have a flywheel with there clutch package? Would save $$$ and time. Alot of people do not like CF because of this issue. I feel Lied to. Also the reason for the flywheel being rebalanced is to compensate for the counter weights on the pressure plate at High Rpms. This is why we cannot shift any higher than 5500 rpms. Also I am goin with the LS7. A better street/Strip Clutch.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:57 AM
TECH Resident

^^^ You guys need a adjustable master OR shim your slave, it will 100% take care of your problem, I made mine adjustable and the issue went away!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:25 AM
12 Second Club

My friend had the same problem, bad clutch design imo....
Old 04-01-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine center force shifted ok but it pooped out on me in like 6000 miles i was very unhappy with the center force brand and will not purchace that brand of clutch again ever
Old 04-01-2008, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

I have the 12" version which as far as I know is the newest version. The old clutch was an 11" version and is crap.

Like I told you in a pm. YOU CAN NOT USE THE STOCK FLYWHEEL IF YOU DONT HAVE IT BALANCED WITH THE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY! When I had my first centerforce in I just had my flywheel resurfaced and put it together. It was ****, wouldnt shift about 5000rpm. So I contacted centerforce and talked to Will Baty and he worked out an awesome deal with me. I got the centerforce DF 12" clutch assembly with the centerforce billet flywheel and had them balanced.

I now have about 25,000 miles or more on my clutch (stop and go driving, tearing it up on the street, and numerous 1/4 mile runs slipping the clutch bad to save the rearend). I shift at 6900rpm and it hasnt missed a beat yet.

Centerforce has a great product. You just cant use your stock flywheel if its not balanced with the clutch assembly! I just with they would have that info printed somewhere so you know.

Brent
Old 08-21-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1powerhouse02
I have the 12" version which as far as I know is the newest version. The old clutch was an 11" version and is crap.

Like I told you in a pm. YOU CAN NOT USE THE STOCK FLYWHEEL IF YOU DONT HAVE IT BALANCED WITH THE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY! When I had my first centerforce in I just had my flywheel resurfaced and put it together. It was ****, wouldnt shift about 5000rpm. So I contacted centerforce and talked to Will Baty and he worked out an awesome deal with me. I got the centerforce DF 12" clutch assembly with the centerforce billet flywheel and had them balanced.

I now have about 25,000 miles or more on my clutch (stop and go driving, tearing it up on the street, and numerous 1/4 mile runs slipping the clutch bad to save the rearend). I shift at 6900rpm and it hasnt missed a beat yet.

Centerforce has a great product. You just cant use your stock flywheel if its not balanced with the clutch assembly! I just with they would have that info printed somewhere so you know.

Brent
IMO....No they do not have a great product, and I have never have been able to get anywhere with their tech support, nor customer service either! You just confirmed it yourself, if they did not inform you that the entire assembly should be balanced, and you install it, they should be liable for labor costs to do the job again.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an old thread but its very interesting to me. I purchased the 12" DF with a billet steel flywheel a couple years ago for my 01 WS6. I had alot of chatter during break-in which eventually most of it went away. Then, after 12k miles the clutch began to slip. After numerous calls to centerforce tech support both by myself and by the manager of the shop I purchased it from(A Centerforce dealer) we were told that there is nothing they can do.

I then asked if I could purchase a replacement disc.To which they said that that is not possible. The only thing I could do is buy a "light metal" puck type disc to replace it. Thats what I did and it grips well, however it has little slip and is not very enjoyable to drive on the street and forget about in traffic.

In the end the car is still running but I am very dis-satisfied with Centerforce and their lack of customer service. Soon I will have the money together for another clutch to which Textralia will get my buisness.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I have to say back then I did have a problem, but it wasn't the clutch. It was my mastercylinder. I switched over to a adj master cylinder. Problem solved. But I wish centerforce would have told me that I needed their balanced Flywheel. It would had made things easier for me. I have their 11inch version, and will try the 12inch when needed.

Quick Reply: Read if you have Centerforce Clutch. What do you think?