Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

1990 Camaro Iroc - starts then instantly stalls

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Camaro Iroc - starts then instantly stalls

I'm helping my father-in-law diagnose an issue with his car. It's a 1990 Iroc Camaro with the 305. Manual trans.

Here's the issue - you start the car, it'll run for about 2 - 5 seconds, then stall. You restart it, it runs for 2 - 5 seconds, then stall. It'll go through this routine 8 - 12 times before it will actually stay running so you can drive it. It's not starved for gas. Electirically it seems to be being shut down.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to try? My initial thought is a faulty sensor on the throttle body. There is no check engine light, by the way.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vital49
I'm helping my father-in-law diagnose an issue with his car. It's a 1990 Iroc Camaro with the 305. Manual trans.

Here's the issue - you start the car, it'll run for about 2 - 5 seconds, then stall. You restart it, it runs for 2 - 5 seconds, then stall. It'll go through this routine 8 - 12 times before it will actually stay running so you can drive it. It's not starved for gas. Electirically it seems to be being shut down.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to try? My initial thought is a faulty sensor on the throttle body. There is no check engine light, by the way.
Check out the TPI section of thirdgen.org. Great info there on third gens and TPI.

Does the car set any codes?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not setting any codes.

I'll check out thirdgen.org. Thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: 1990 Camaro Iroc - starts then instantly stalls