Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Race SBC sucking oil through intake gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Race SBC sucking oil through intake gaskets? Need help ASAP

We just put the motor for my Dirt modified back together and we are having a problem. After we were done racing last year we pulled my motor apart installed new crank/rods/pistons in the motor to get ready for another year of racing. All the parts we put in are the made by the same people that we ran the year befor except the rings. This year we decided to try some total seal gapless rings and now we are having a problem with the motor sucking in oil either under or through the intake manifold gaskets. Is it possible that the motor could make that intake pressure to do that? The heads and intake are the same ones we used last year and we have been running mr. gasket 106 intake manifold gaskets for the last 4 years and have had no problems at all before. Is thre any other type of intake gasket that we could run to solve this problem? We had the motor all together and runnin last week, it ran fine other that the oil problem, it is currently in peices in the garage waiting on a fix.

Motor info :

358 c.i., 12-1 compression ratio, dart 180 cc ported heads (started as 64 cc combuston chambers but have been angle milled pretty far) brodix sp-1 ported intake, currently running a 4bbl to 2 bbl adapter in the intake because that class we ran only allowed a 500cfm 2bbl carb, this year we are going to be running a 750cfm 4bbl (when they get here).

Any help woul be great, we have a test and tune on april 7th

Last edited by Rebob5; 03-26-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First I would double check that all the intake bolts are torqued right. That may be your problem but I think its very unlikley because I have never heard of an engine sucking in out from the oil valley. If its not that I would say you have a problem with one of your oil rings. Did you break the motor in good? Did you have then engine honed prior to install? A leak down test might shed some light on it.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you have the intake milled to since you had the cylinder heads milled?...if not your intake probably isnt sitting right and is allowing oil to be sucked in thru the intake ports.............i have seen it happen before and had it happen to me. i ended up runnin some thicker fel pro intake gaskets.took care of the issue i had when i was runnin a 383 sbc fel-1275 is the gasket part number
Old 03-31-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Badass355ciz28 : You hit the nail right on the head. While putting my brothers motor together we noticed that his intake was alot closer to the heads then mine. We flipped the intakes over and his has been milled and mine was not. Today we took the intake to the guy who does our machine work for us and he shaved .070 off the front and back of the intake. Hopefully we will have them both fired up this weekend. The weird thing is that it ran fine all last year with the same heads/intake, the total seal rings must totally seal, LOL!!! I might have to take some video of them running, they are mean

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Rebob5; 03-31-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad I Could Help. Good Luck With It

Quick Reply: Race SBC sucking oil through intake gaskets?