Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a problem with a bog down in 3rd gear from a 30 roll?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a problem with a bog down in 3rd gear from a 30 roll?

I have a 99 t/a 4a and it bogs down real bad in 3rd gear from 30 mph and I cant get the god forsaken thing to unlock. The only way I can is to gun it but then it kicks down to the passing gear. Anyone else have this problem short of taking the trans out and putting a new stall in.

Thanks
Matt
Old 03-26-2008, 07:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well first if its locking the converter you need to determine why? Is it being commanded? If the PCM is enabling lockup under those conditions then changing the converter would be useless. So have you data logged to see if it is enabling lockup? I know I talked with a guy the other day he has a similar problem at the track. When it shifts to 3rd at wide open throttle it goes into lockup but he did data log and in fact it is being turned on by the PCM hes now trying to find out why and if he lets me know I will post back. with what he came up with.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 03-26-2008, 08:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, mine will lock up in third at 25 when the engine is warm and the selector is in "D". From there it pulls fine up to about half throttle, then it will unlock.

Doesn't bog, lug or anything, just pulls up to the speed I want to be at, then I put it up into "OD" and go about my merry way.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am always in 3rd gear around town and it locks up hardcore at 30 and I give it like half throttle it goes no where it just falls flat on it's face pretty much. I'm also getting 4 degrees of kr too.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by onebadazzls1ta
I am always in 3rd gear around town and it locks up hardcore at 30 and I give it like half throttle it goes no where it just falls flat on it's face pretty much. I'm also getting 4 degrees of kr too.
That might be part of your problem, even though the PCM will usually not let the car lock up if it's getting KR. Yours is doing the complete opposite.

I had my tuner reset the values on my converter for knock, and it locks and unlocks fine at the mph I want it to.

Probably your best bet is to do what Frank posted and have the car scanned while it's acting up. See if the PCM is commanding the converter to lock up or not. It shouldn't be letting it lock up at 1/2 throttle at all unless it's tuned to do so.

Again, I'd find someone who tunes, or possibly go to the local transmission shop, they usually have scanners that can see what data is being transmitted to and from the transmission.

How much throttle do you have to give the car before it unlocks in 3rd?
What position is the selector in?
Have you tried it with the selector in both "D" and "OD"?
What brand and size converter?
Do you have it tuned for the converter?

Give a little more info and folks here on the board may be able to help you figure it out.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys it's stock everything on it is stock tq converter yadda yadda yadda LOL and I have to floor it to get it to do anything. From a dig things a beast thought.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Would a bad knock sensor cause any problems>
Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I eliminated lock-up in third gear. It's kind of useless. The main effect is a lack of responsiveness when you need it. My car is tuned to lock up in fourth when I reach cruising speed.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I eliminated lock-up in third gear. It's kind of useless. The main effect is a lack of responsiveness when you need it. My car is tuned to lock up in fourth when I reach cruising speed.
This is how mine is tuned as well.....no lock-up in 3rd, not until 50 MPH in 4th.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And let me guess you need a mail order tune for that LOL. Is there any other way to tune it out with the diablo? It's sooo annoying!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Still having problems with the bog down I'm also getting kr when it's locked I've tried to tune it out but I doubt I can. I've popped like 4 02 related codes and they all are "to rich this" and "to rich that" I dont suppose I can successfully tune that out with having no cats right?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did you change on the car recently?

Unless you changed something, anything, then there is most likely a failed component. IE: KR sensor, O2 sensor, etc...

The single most important thing I have learned in well over 20 yrs of diagnosis Driveability concerns is the fact that you must repair the obvious first. In your case that means you must determine why it is reporting KR, probably an exhaust change issue... and you must determine why there are O2 codes. If it is as simple as Tuning, then hire a Professional to do it right the 1st time and be done with it.

There really is no way for us to be able to determine the source of your converter staying locked up at WOT without having the car. We can only make suggestions.

Hope that helps.

g
Old 03-29-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no cats straight piped I dunno if it's a knock sensor problem, wouldnt it pop a code if a knock sensor went bad? I believe the 02 codes I'm getting is rich on all banks maybe the 02's are saturated with soot or gas or something. the ones that where after the cat, she does smell like she's running rich at startup my ltft's are like -10.95 or something.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, at this point any discussion without a full understanding of the condition would be supposition and speculation. Let's try to work from a position of strength.

Is there a shop in your area that you trust o take a look at it ? ... preferrably a performance shop

g
Old 03-29-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Year there is I'm a driver for advance so that's all I deliever to all day long pretty much with the exception of midas and t/k and such. What do you want me to ask them to do?

Quick Reply: Anyone have a problem with a bog down in 3rd gear from a 30 roll?