Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

F-Body Whipple Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default F-Body Whipple Pics

Whipple has a twin screw blower kit for the LS1 f-body cars. I am really curious to see how one fits but I can't seem to find any pics of one on a TA or Camaro. Plenty of Magnacharger pics, but can anyone show me some of the whipple.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

There is one guy that did a custom kit on his LT1 but that is over a year in the making and I am not 100% its a whipple, he will chime in if he sees it to verify what the blower is. The Whipple will fit a LS1 engine for hot rods, trucks and even a custom one for the C5's. But to this day I have yet to hear of one for 4th Gen F Bodies

Last edited by bd mnky; 03-26-2008 at 08:05 PM. Reason: I think faster then I type therefore my speelinggg blows :D
Old 03-26-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I posted a thread a few months ago to get some comparison input on the Maggie vs the Procharger. After hearing all sides of the argument I decided that I really like the Maggie since I have more of an ultimate street car setup. I have a dry shot kit on the car right now, but how would I spray with the Maggie? Could I just spray like a 100 shot into the intercooler?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

They have an LSX kit. It's not designed for an F-body
Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Veteran

I am not sure. I thought about doing that with mine before I decided to sell my car. I know you can use it to cool the intercooler or hook it up through the lid like alot of kits do. There are TB plates, wet shot, dry shot just about anyway you would a N/A car. The maggie does not leave much room for much else. There may be a few custom kits out there, but I did not look. I have never put them to practice so honestly I rather not steer you in the wrong direction, so hopefully someone can chime in that thought about or has done it. Search the Corvette side (corvetteforum.com or Radix on the trucks section on this website. There are more kits of those out there then the maggies in F Bodies therefore a greater chance you will find something..
Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am just not sure about spraying into the lid like I am now without a MAF though.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

is that patrick g's old car? look similar and has similar mods. nice looking ride
Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ha, good eye, it is in fact! He built this motor for a big boos setup, but sold it before the turbo was installed. I am just trying to decide exactly what direction I want to go with it.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i thought so, and you already changed your sig pic. he had the APS twin turbo set up. you should of told him to throw it in. whats got you set on whipple?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ha, yeah I took a few pics this weekend with the new decals and I am trying a few different ones on my sig. Anyway...he was going to make me a pretty good deal on the APS kit, but I just couldn't afford it at the time and he wanted to get rid of the kit fast so I didn't get it. Since I didn't get the turbo from him and have it installed, I really don't want to mess with a turbo setup. I have always loved the sound and low end street power of a supercharger, I just want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:14 PM
Teching In

go ahead any throw u a F1A procharger up there and boost it up
Old 03-26-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was planning on that, but then I realized that I would have to run duel fuel pumps, mount the kit and the big intercooler, and possible upgrade from my already heavy Textralia to and even bigger and less street-friendly clutch. I mean damn, I may as well go ahead and put in a turbo for all that. I want the power, but I also want the streetability. The Maggie (or even a Whipple) seems a little more street friendly, but of course makes less power. I wonder how much a Maggie with my setup would turn out at the wheels.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

there was an fbody done with the LMSpeed kit. but you have to have the kmember lowered. im not to fond of that but kyle(Na$ty T/A) has it done so i wouldnt imagine its that bad. if it doesnt fit then its not meant to be. i like turbos then next would be centri's. no point in having that nice motor if you arent gonna make use out of it. go ahead and slap the procharger on. and thank me when you get into full boost
Old 03-26-2008, 11:47 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to put a roots/twin screw under the cowl, you're going to have to jump through hoops to do it.

Lonnie's sells drop in dual pump setups and a D-1 would make over 700rwhp on that 347, F1 would make more. I run the Tex twin and it's perfectly streetable.

If you're not wanting to change anything, just keep the spray going. 625rwhp is a pretty good number.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go with a procharger and call it a day. No reason to try to re-invent the wheel. You wont be dissapointed with a Procharger.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Would that setup also be good in the twistys where low end and quick response is needed and shifting occurs more often?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Launching!

It really isn't as hard to do the maggie as people want you to believe. I did it in a friend's garage and it took me some time, but I was upgrading the exhaust, suspension and doing heads and cam all at the same time. The Bullshit about lowering the k-member and ruining the geometry of the drivetrain is complete bullshit!!!! You only lower the k-memer 3/4", that's right it's only 3/4". The kit from LM Speed comes with all you need to put this maggie on, except the welder for the small patch panel that comes in the kit, and when it's done you can't see it unless you're REAALLLYYYY trying to, so your welding skills need not be pro level. The kit comes with the spacers and 3/4" longer bolts for the k-member; my car sits at or lower than stock ride height thanks to the added weight of the blower. The off idle torque and hp are crazy, you can be running @2000rpm stab the throttle and feel the rear wanna come around to say hi!!

The maggie kit isn't a direct bolt-on, the car has to be made to fit, but it really isn't any big deal. I'm not a prefessional mechanic, just a guy that can turn some wrenches, this was my first LS1 engine and my first forced induction engine as well, so I went slow and sought a ton of advice as I went along. I spent about two weeks on the phone with Ed discussing the installation and setup to find out if it would even be something that I'd want to tackle alone; Ed is VERY helpful and spent as much time with me on the phone as I needed to get it all figured out before I spent a dime on his kit. He's extremely busy lately with these kits and helping out guys like me that are still tweaking. He just finished an install on a car that should get some national mag coverage soon. I asked about a nitrous kit and from what I understood with the maggies it's possible, Ed was trying to develop a kit that would go along with the blower for marketing, it was a between the halves setup if I remember right.

If you want a maggie then don't let anyone talk you out of it, giving you heresay and third party information, get what you want and enjoy the **** out of it. It's YOUR car!!! If you want anymore help or have anymore ??'s, then pm me or Ed. Badmonkey has the same setup for sale that came off of his car, there are quite a few others here on tech that have the f-body maggie kit, one's using the MS4 and seeing over 570rwhp, Badmonkey's setup gave him over 525rwhp and there was more in it, but not enough time to squeeze it out, I'm still working with Ed to get my tune tweaked, but hoping to see well over 520 rwhp as well. Yotaman96, and Garrett3 are some of the others that are using the LM Speed maggie kit. If you're near Decatur, In stop by and visit Ed, He'll probably take you for a ride in his maggie'd Z so you can get an idea what these are capable of.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like having something unique that not everyone else has. Thats what car shows were made for. The Maggie sounds like it has crushing low end acceleration for the street, and if it were properly mated together with a nitrous setup, it could pull my car down into some serious times. The sound of a roots style blower is also second to none. I wonder if a direct port nitrous setup could be made to work with the Maggie?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

It would be a shame to have to pull that Mamo-ported FAST 90 off to put a maggie on. . . .ofcourse you would get some nice coin for that to put towards your setup. I would just put a procharger on it and call it a day.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If your spending the money, Id go F1A or APS. A maggie is only going to support 500-550at the absolute MAX, and with the cost of a Magnuson, I dont think its worth it. A F1A or APS will give you alot more room to grow. Both of these setups will do 800+rwhp no problem. A set of 4:10 gears and a F1A would give you PLENTY of low end plus huge top end HP where the magnuson is going to die out.

Quick Reply: F-Body Whipple Pics