Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

are agx's right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default are agx's right for me?

Well i have 100k on my stock shocks and springs, and i need some new shocks bad. I was thinking about konis but the $770 hurts. I wanted konis beacuse of 2 reasons, the front purch mod and there known to be the best shock for a f-body. I dont think i will push the car to notice the differance in the koni or agx's, or is it easy to tell the differance? I have not rode in another f-body with konis, hds or agx so i cant tell what i like. but i am a honda mechanic and mabye it because the cars are newer but the cars feel stable, mine does not. The front and rear dont act as one, i guess that a good way to put it. I like to drive the car normal, ill go to the drag strip, ill cruse the streets, ill go faster then i should on some roads to get the thrill of the car, and i do street race and at 130 this car is scary. Should i got with the agx's?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

i have agx's all around in mine and love them. Set on 8 it corners very well and set them on 1 at the strip and i can cut 1.5 60's spinning.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hm. Coming from a 'handling' perspective, the best bang for your buck are Strano Revalves. I got to compete in my '99SS last year w/ the HDs, and they were subpar, but driving a 93 Z28 with revalves, the car was a totally different machine. I was about to order Koni's for my 99 before I sold it, but since you're not into that type of competition, Revalves are an awesome option, surely designed for the car, whereas AGX's are a generic off the shelf shock . Cost differential is minimal between the KYB's and the Revalves also.

Check out your local SCCA clubs; incredible competition and fun.. and legal. Put that beautiful car of yours to work.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

the thing is sam cant do revalves, because bilstines are on back order and have been for a long time
Old 03-27-2008, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

bingo... thats why the AGXs have been talked about so much lately. Its either Konis, or settle for a sub-par shock that works, but not well. The bilsteins were a nice option a few years ago, but since they messed up the valving to be more like the stock decarbons, they really need to be re-valved to perform to their potential.

edit: and being on backorder doesn't help either...
Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

so are agx's the new budget king?
or are off the shelf hd's better?
Old 04-03-2008, 04:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

i'd like to know as well
Old 04-03-2008, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

I've had konis in the past and now I'm using AGX's and I am quite happy with them. i've got them set on 7 all the way around. This 01 is also lowered 2" and with SFC, jeez! I hate speed bumps!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before the Cavalry comes charging in with the Koni bandwagon, let me just say that the AGX's are really good shocks for the money. For anywhere between $350 - $450 you get a pretty decent amount of comfort and control with 8 settings to choose from. You can't really go wrong with that. I know the balance of comfort and control is not the same as it would with Konis, but you definitely get your money's worth. It is certainly not a junk shock like all the Koni leghhumpers would have you believe. If you can afford to shell out $870 for Konis, more power to you. Otherwise, you will be pretty happy with AGXs too. I am lowered 2" and initially had my shocks set to 7 but I backed them down to 6 for a little more comfort.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

The impression that I get from what I read, is that it's not just on the track that you notice the difference, but daily driving as well. That's all I can really say though, I don't want to comment that much about a set of shocks that I've never tried before.

I also still don't really know what the adjustment sets on the AGX's. Doing a search didn't really point me in the right direction. I was wondering if the AGX's were one of those shocks that controls compression and rebound with the same ****...
Old 04-03-2008, 03:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I've started stocking AGX's, and I'm on record as saying that given the current situation they are my second choice in most cases behind Koni's. They are not a super close second, but second none the less.

AGX's are very much get what you pay for, they are not in any way, shape, or form up to the quality or overall polish of a Koni. Koni's offer better control @ relatively lower damper settings. I.E. better ride with crisp damping, and are just flat screwed together better, and back their warranty up way better than KYB does.

However when it comes down to it, the AGX's do cost half as much, and at least offer you some control over your damping level and the subsequent ride/handling balance. I've run AGX's myself, and have tried all kinds of different settings, and with different springs, while an improvement over stock and many other shocks, they aren't Koni's. As long as folks realize this, it's all good.

And Bryan... yes, AGX's are single acting, double adjustable--which means the **** changes both compression and rebound together. They are linked to each other. But they do different things. Compression damping controls unsprung weigh, Rebound controls sprung weight. Wanting more of one doens't mean you want more of the other. And Compression damping changes are overrated in many cases, which is one reason I don't use DA Koni's in most cases (which are double acting double adjustables).

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-07-2008, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

well i ordered some kyb agx. saturday other night i was trying to catch back you to a guy on the high way and was doing around 100 on a long right hand turn, the car felt so unstable tried floating left, it was just very scary. reasons for me buying kyb's
1. dont have the $ for konis - $350 for kybs hurt ME
2. i dont drive the car every day
3. i take the car to the drag strip and people have been geting good 60fts with the fronts low and the backs higher
4. ill admit i do street race and i do cut it off at 130 (top of 4th) but i dont go that fast because the car floats.

got any good starting points for them? i wasent sure
Old 07-07-2008, 04:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

hope you have better luck than the guy I just hung up with. He has AGX's, and is ordering Koni's in the next 4 days (that's what he told me). The RF shock is shot, the wheel just bounces along and the car is really hard to drive. Better yet, he spoke to KYB. They aren't warrantable because the car was lowered. That was it, end of story.

Now, I'll admit that this is a breakage faster than normal. He only had them for about 6 months. But this is a prime example of what kind of product and support you get for your money. You do indeed get what you pay for in this world. Very little exception to that.

BTW, this doesn't mean every AGX will do this. They don't. Tokico has the same hit and miss issues and lack of help on the customer service side. Yeah, I know.... Koni's aren't cheap, I don't drive every day, etc. etc. If you go cheap and they don't break, that's great, but they'll never work as well in terms of ride or control. And if they do break, you end up spending even more to replace them with something better and had all the hassle in between.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
hope you have better luck than the guy I just hung up with. He has AGX's, and is ordering Koni's in the next 4 days (that's what he told me). The RF shock is shot, the wheel just bounces along and the car is really hard to drive. Better yet, he spoke to KYB. They aren't warrantable because the car was lowered. That was it, end of story.

Now, I'll admit that this is a breakage faster than normal. He only had them for about 6 months. But this is a prime example of what kind of product and support you get for your money. You do indeed get what you pay for in this world. Very little exception to that.

BTW, this doesn't mean every AGX will do this. They don't. Tokico has the same hit and miss issues and lack of help on the customer service side. Yeah, I know.... Koni's aren't cheap, I don't drive every day, etc. etc. If you go cheap and they don't break, that's great, but they'll never work as well in terms of ride or control. And if they do break, you end up spending even more to replace them with something better and had all the hassle in between.
So does koni back their shocks? What's their warranty like?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Koni absolutely backs their stuff. Ironically both have "lifetime warranties", but as you can KYB's is more lip service than anything. Koni has rarely denied a warranty, and there are times the should due to obvious mis-use, etc. Can a Koni break? They can, but it's a lot more rare, and they'll actually work with you on a replacement if you are original purchaser.

In fact I know that Koni has in the past sent a new shock out with a core charge (assuring return of the bad one) to get people going again. They can't always do this, and sometimes they just run out of shocks, but it's pretty rare and if that ever does happen the warranty items are the first to go out.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

KYB's not warranting their shocks because of lowering springs is pretty much crap.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
bingo... thats why the AGXs have been talked about so much lately. Its either Konis, or settle for a sub-par shock that works, but not well. The bilsteins were a nice option a few years ago, but since they messed up the valving to be more like the stock decarbons, they really need to be re-valved to perform to their potential.

edit: and being on backorder doesn't help either...
works, but not well. actually i beg to differ, they work great. they may not be anything near konis but for the money theyre well worth it.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by lt1noob
works, but not well. actually i beg to differ, they work great. they may not be anything near konis but for the money theyre well worth it.
Provided they don't break.... The quality is the key here. If they last and you understand they don't "work" like Koni's, but that you paid less then it's all good. Break one, or two, or more and have a warranty denied. Maybe pay labor if you aren't doing the work yourself, and the situation changes a bit.

This is all about getting what you pay for. As I said above, I sell AGX's. lt1noob knows this as he bought his from me. However, I make no bones about the fact they aren't my preference and you see some reasons why in this thread. But I'm in business, and in the end it's the customer's decision to make. I'll answer any and all questions I can and educate as much as I can, but it's their money.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lt1noob
That's because you are satisfied with subpar below average things. Look you own an inferior LT1

LT1...

Haha, jk. This section needs some more ball busting though. I'm not used to all the seriousness.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 284 Likes on 187 Posts

Can the Bilsteins be rebuilt and/or re-valved if the customer already has them and sends them in?

Quick Reply: are agx's right for me?