Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD 6010 users

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default MSD 6010 users

now that i have mine running, i forget what chip i put in, but i wanted to start getting info on how to program it-i dont see where you can plug into it with the cord supplyed-i installed the mini disc in my computer to see if it would show something, but so many selections and nothing showed a 6010
now i know i am computer stupid (the reason to run carb'ed in the first place)
but there must be some insts. for dummies somewhere, like where do you plug in the laptop to the box-all i saw was the slot for the chip, and some other area that looked like it was blocked off, but nothing that this cord would fit-thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 07:08 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is a plastic plug on the end of the msd box you prise out, that opens up the serial port. plug the supplied lead into it and into the serial port on your computer/laptop

open up the software turn on the ignition to the vehicle, it should show the connected product is a msd 6010 unit, otherwise its not talking to it and will say not connected.

once its hooked up you can adjust any settings in the map for rpm/ignition points, rev limit etc. save them to the pc at first, then "transfer" them to the msd unit. it will ask you if you wish to transfer the user data or all data, i just used "user data".
once its sent the file across the msd box has the same info as the pc.

any changes made should be saved to both the pc and then the msd box. make sure you save a copy of each map with a different file no, so you can go back to a previous copy if need be if you made an error.

i can email you a copy of my map if you like, as a starter, should at least fire it up (mine is an ls1).

regards
Old 03-27-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks-i'll climb under the dash and look for the plug-i kind of remember seeing a plugged area, thought it was just an empty slot not used-i am running a procharger, so i want to be able to use the retard
Old 03-28-2008, 05:11 AM
TECH Regular

i think you need to play about with the vac/map sensor settings then to retard your timing, i'm n/a so have used it just to give some advance at idle to clean up the exhaust smell and at part throttle.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

as near as i can tell, the retard needs 12 volts to trigger it, and i guess you can dial in the amount of retard on the computer-if that is the case, i will use a hobbs switch to trigger the retard when i am in boost-i think i need a 2 bar? map sensor, then i will play with the advance at idle-still sorting out things, but it fires right up and sounds great with just a chip, might even leave that in while i break it in, then get serious with the laptop
Old 03-28-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by forcd ind
as near as i can tell, the retard needs 12 volts to trigger it, and i guess you can dial in the amount of retard on the computer-if that is the case, i will use a hobbs switch to trigger the retard when i am in boost-i think i need a 2 bar? map sensor, then i will play with the advance at idle-still sorting out things, but it fires right up and sounds great with just a chip, might even leave that in while i break it in, then get serious with the laptop
You don't need a Hobbs switch to trigger the retard. There is a separate +12 activated retard, that is for nitrous. If you are going to boost your engine there are two spark maps in the 6010. One is spark vs. RPM, the other is spark vs. MAP. Connect the 6010 to a MAP sensor and you can program the exact timing curve that you want.

Andrew
Old 04-23-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good info
Old 06-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chris-m
there is a plastic plug on the end of the msd box you prise out, that opens up the serial port. plug the supplied lead into it and into the serial port on your computer/laptop

open up the software turn on the ignition to the vehicle, it should show the connected product is a msd 6010 unit, otherwise its not talking to it and will say not connected.

once its hooked up you can adjust any settings in the map for rpm/ignition points, rev limit etc. save them to the pc at first, then "transfer" them to the msd unit. it will ask you if you wish to transfer the user data or all data, i just used "user data".
once its sent the file across the msd box has the same info as the pc.

any changes made should be saved to both the pc and then the msd box. make sure you save a copy of each map with a different file no, so you can go back to a previous copy if need be if you made an error.

i can email you a copy of my map if you like, as a starter, should at least fire it up (mine is an ls1).

regards
Would you mind sending a copy of your map to e_st_peter@yahoo.com.I just purchased a carb msd setup and trying to figure it out Thanks Erik
Old 06-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Keep in mind with the 6010 box (unless MSD fixed it) If you program a timing curve in to the box and then at some point after that plug in a timing curve module and power up the box the timing curve module WILL OVERIDE your laptop timing curve perminately, or at least until you reprogram the box with your laptop.

I have had this happen to me on a high dollar stroker LS1 I built for a customer. It left the dyno with a max WOT timing of 24*. They engine was delivered to the customer and they monkey'd around with the box and put a module in thinking it was a rev limiter and torched the engine! When I went to diagnose the engine knocking sound I plugged my laptop in to the 6010 box and it brought up the same curve as one of the modules. Not to mention they also told me they had plugged one in thinking it was a rev limiter chip. I confirmed it by putting my old timing curve back in. then plugging a timing module in and powering up the box. Then I removed the module and plugged the laptop back in a wham! MSD timing module curve was in the box! Keep in mind the 6010 module all have a max timing of 36* Hug differance from 24 * to 36*

Just a FYI
Old 06-11-2008, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

the chips will always override your settings if plugged in. I plugged in a chip just to fire the engine. And it gave me a good idea where to set the idle and part throttle points.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sheephead
Would you mind sending a copy of your map to e_st_peter@yahoo.com.I just purchased a carb msd setup and trying to figure it out Thanks Erik
sent you a copy of the original one someone gave me, which i modded, i'll send you my updated copy later when i pull it from the msd box itself. this one should get you going tho
Old 06-12-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Veteran

i think i have given up on the map sensor, my brain just will not accept vacume as pressure, and how to set it up, cause i would have to make a full pass and be able to watch the map gauge to see what it reads, so i could do the timing-so for now i will use the retard and trigger it from the hobbs switch
Old 06-12-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

it's pretty easy, 0 is absolute vacuum (which no engine could ever reach at idle). Typical stockish engine would be around 3psi idling. another words the throttle is open only enough to allow 3psi of atmosphere in. then at WOT if there is no restrictions at the TB or air inlet you would have 14.7psi of atmosphere.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

ofcoarse if you have boost it will see over 14.7psi

10 psi of boost = 14.7 (atmosphere) + 10psi = 24.7psi
Old 06-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Default Msd pro data upload cord

Was lookin for a longer cord,i found this usb to 9-pin male 6' long.If any one else is lookin here,s the link

http://www.usbgear.com/computer_cabl...99%2C601%2C461
Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

Hey guys last night I started trying to tune with the laptop but I couldn't get the box and computer to talk. I just kept getting "LoopBack Test". I am using a usb serial cable from radioshack and I am running XP on the laptop. Is there a specific usb port I need to use? When bringing the tuning software up I get the option for "Com 3" and if I move the usb to a different port it will then give me other com options. I just don't know why they won't link
Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Regular

i don't know about the loop back thing. but mine would ask for a different com each time. you would need to go to device manager and choose the com port
Old 06-17-2008, 09:26 AM
11 Second Club

I called MSD this morning and the guy I spoke with told me to call back later and speak with Pete because he knows his stuff. I guess when I get home I will call him maybe he can help. I tried uninstalling the cable and the software several times, I also tried every usb port on the computer.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

have you tried just using the seriel cable or do you not have that on your lap top
Old 06-17-2008, 09:56 AM
11 Second Club

The laptop doesn't but maybe I will just move the desktop to the garage and use it. If I do that is there anything I need to do to make the two link?

Quick Reply: MSD 6010 users