General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power-steering out?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power-steering out?

Ok, when I start my car at the beginning of the day, its ok, but the more I drive the weirder the steering wheel feels. When I am parked and i go to turn the wheel before I back out of a parking space or something, the wheel is a bitch to turn, like I have to fight it to get it to go in the direction I want. When I am cruising, whether faster or slow, its fine, steers like normal. Could the power-steering be going out? Its weird that it drives fine, but when I am trying to leave a parking spot, or slow area, its a bitch and a half to turn.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

anyone?
Old 03-27-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

?????
Old 03-27-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

anyone?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

It IS out buddy.. You should def check your fluid a.s.a.p...

If you're low then you have a loose fitting or fitting blown off (right side) or a bad o-ring.. Take a look and let us know what you see... Also it helps if you let someone get in the car and start it up and keep turning the wheel all the way right and all the way left so that you can see if it is coming out anywhere...

Also could be coming out at the rack.. If the alternator is wet then it's the pump though..
Old 03-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Check your pump, its probably leaking all over, check your hoses, they could be leaking too... probably a good idea to replace both
Old 03-27-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

i can't tell if its leaking because nothing is hittin the ground and i don't see any traces of the fluid, I moved the steering wheel back and forth and didn't see anything. the fluid was a little low, so I filled it to the top with fluid. I've only drivin about 50 miles, and so far no difference. If the car sits for a while, and i start it up, its just fine, the more i drive though, thats when it gets hard, but only when parking or when the car is stopped. during normal driving and making turns in traffic, car is fine. Is it bad to drive it like this until i get funds to fix it? Could anything else get fucked up?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
i can't tell if its leaking because nothing is hittin the ground and i don't see any traces of the fluid, I moved the steering wheel back and forth and didn't see anything. the fluid was a little low, so I filled it to the top with fluid. I've only drivin about 50 miles, and so far no difference. If the car sits for a while, and i start it up, its just fine, the more i drive though, thats when it gets hard, but only when parking or when the car is stopped. during normal driving and making turns in traffic, car is fine. Is it bad to drive it like this until i get funds to fix it? Could anything else get fucked up?
That's because your power steering is out... It is really hard to turn while not moving or at stops, but like normal almost at higher speeds..

You need to get a friend to turn it while you are looking at it and it is full of fluid.. not you turn it and then go look.. that doesn't work.

As for driving it, if you don't have any fluid in it then you shouldn't drive it.. The pump is meant to be driven and disperse fluid through it so if you drive it without then it will ruin your pump and could cause it to break and your car to throw a belt, leaving you stranded wherever you are with a blown up pump..

A lot of the time the hose on the right side (when looking at the engine while standing in front of the car) gets blown off. You can easily tighten it back down, but be careful because the plastic piece it goes back on is like glass and can break quickly.

If it isn't that, then on the left side of the pump, right behind the pulley is a fitting that may have came loose. It also has an o-ring in it that may need to be replaced. If it is neither of these and there isn't fluid leaking on the alternator or anywhere, then I'd check the rack.

Good luck buddy and hope you get it remedy'd soon..
Old 03-28-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

I keep checking it everytime I drive, and the fluid is still full. I'm going to try those things you just said, and if I can't figure it out, then I am just going to take it to the dealer because I have a warranty on the car. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I keep checking it everytime I drive, and the fluid is still full. I'm going to try those things you just said, and if I can't figure it out, then I am just going to take it to the dealer because I have a warranty on the car. Thanks for the help.
That's what I'd do... Dealer

And it was no problem.. I had ps issues here a little while back
Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

cool...looks like ima have to wait until wednesday though...i work all weekend, and then I am going to the chicago cubs opening day game on monday and school on tueday...
Old 03-31-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Regular

the fluid was a little low, so I filled it to the top with fluid.
The cap says right on it "DO NOT OVERFILL" (at least mine does). It has min/max levels for a reason.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Try a COMPLETE power steering flush. You'd be amazed what this will do for you if it's not already dead. If it were, it would be harder than normal ALL the time. What you are probably feeling is a combination of:
1. Old, original, worn out fluid inside a PS system whose seals are worn
2. Big, sticky tires on the front are harder to turn at slow speeds, esp. parking lot speeds.
Big tires = big traction = hard to turn at slow speeds = extra wear on steering parts.

Besides on the pump, check the rack - leaks are just as common there, if not moreso. Actually, could be the rack binding internally - that's far more common than PS pumps on street cars.

Good luck!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

bump... any word on this?