General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

could it be a rear pinion seal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default could it be a rear pinion seal?

hey guys, a few weeks ago, i got my tailhousing seal and rear pinion seal replaced. then i had some 3.73 gears installed by one of the sponsors. i happend to check underneath for any leaks and seen a small puddle forming. it looks like its dripping from the torque arm.. but im wondering if it still might be a pinion seal? nothing is dripping undeerneath the 10bolt, its a little more forward around the torque arm area? any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you need to replace the bushing in the tail housing also. I belive just its a little brass bushing fairly simple. Is it transmission fluid???
Old 03-27-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dex
Sounds like you need to replace the bushing in the tail housing also. I belive just its a little brass bushing fairly simple. Is it transmission fluid???

thanks for the reply dex. not sure if it is tranny fluid. dont think so atleast. anybody else might have some input?
Old 03-27-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

anybody else?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
hey guys, a few weeks ago, i got my tailhousing seal and rear pinion seal replaced. then i had some 3.73 gears installed by one of the sponsors. i happend to check underneath for any leaks and seen a small puddle forming. it looks like its dripping from the torque arm.. but im wondering if it still might be a pinion seal? nothing is dripping undeerneath the 10bolt, its a little more forward around the torque arm area? any suggestions?
A tailshaft seal will also throw fluid up on the driveshaft tunnel, have a look at that. And the seal itself, see if it is wet. If the fluid is red it's trans fluid and that's what's leaking.

If the pinion seal is leaking it has a tendency to 'ooze' all over the front of the rear end, and down the torque arm...you will often see fluid drips hanging from the bottom of the two torque arm bolts depending on the severity of the leaks. The fluid is clear/yellowish.

I would let the vendor know about it and have them take a second look. Often a seal will leak if the seal was not seated squarely or the driveshaft/pinion yoke is scored and was not sanded down, and is ripping the rubber part of the seal.