Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help... Burning smell after installing Pads & Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... Burning smell after installing Pads & Rotors

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my car. Its a 99 Camaro Z28. I think I might have messed up my RH front caliper. I got a set of Rotors and Pads from Shockwaveharry (look great BTW). I put my car up on all fours and when I was compressing the piston on the RH front, they weren't compressing evenly. I evened them up and continued with the install. I put everything back together and pump the brakes to make sure the pads stick to the rotors. RH front didn't spin freely like the other 3 wheels. Had to really force it to move. I took it for a drive and when I got home I noticed a burning smell coming from there. Did I mess up the caliper??? Please help... Sorry for the long explaination...
Old 03-28-2008, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like you didn't compress the right front caliper's pistons enough before you put them back in, and the pads were rubbing the rotor the whole time. might have messed up both the pad and the possibly the rotor so check them both. If you didn't drive very far the pad should still be usable.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

I'm positive I compressed it all the way. I always make sure that the pistons are all the way back before I put the new parts on. I'll check again when I get home today before I go out and buy a new caliper.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

i had that problem on my truck and I drove it slowly around the circle drive and it came out of it aweful quick.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

I'm worried because I noticed after driving to work which is about 10 minutes away from where I live the wheel is really hot. The other 3 are staying cool... any more input???
Old 03-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

Figured it out today. It was the caliper bracket. The bottom part where you hold it with a wrench. It was sticking out and it was frozen. Causing the caliper to pull the brake pad toward the rotor. Changed the bracket today and all is perfect.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those slider pins always get stuck. That 2 cent rubber bushing doesn't do a good job of keeping moisture out at all.