Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XAT's LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XAT's LS1 Swap

If you were thinking of swapping an LS1 into your 240 using XAT, I would think again.

Look at these pictures online at www.picturedhere.blogspot.com to see their handiwork.

Mainly the washers in the subframe that probably came from ace hardware or something of the like. Also the stellar welding job they performed on my exhaust as well as the exhaust leaks all the way back from the headers at each weld. They also managed to set my car up wear my sway bar crashes into my oil pan causing a huge dent to already be forming as a result.

The car also came to me dying at every stop light, courtesy of their master outsourced LS1 tuner using a tuning software, LSedit, that noone uses anymore.

So I had to take my car to another shop in my area to retune, put HP on the car, and get it running right. Which XAT declined to compensate me for because they wanted me to drive 8hrs back down to tampa to get more work done when they couldn't get it done right the first time around, in a car that doesnt even run right.

As well as leaving off my car "New performance clutch kit" which was advertised on their old site and on my invoice, which strangely disappeared from their new site LS1 swap packages. They claim that it is on my car but when I look at it side by side with another t56 clutch, its exactly the same.

Who uses Ka mounts on an LS1 motor? Thats crazy.

I honestly don't like this practice, but potential customers or existing need to know that you need to check everything you purchased from them to make certain that it is to your standards and that you received everything that you paid for.

Im getting all my work done at another shop that won't screw me over and is much more qualified, and stands behind their work.

Overall, I am very displeased with their effort on my car seeing as I spent upwards of $10K on this project and trusted them to do me right with my money.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Teching In

That's terrible man. I've welded twice in my life and even my welds look better than that. Horrible. And those "spacers" are pathetic. On the plus side that looks like an LS7 clutch.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

I was on the impression that they did a good swap. I'm really sorry to hear about your misfortune. From the looks of it you might have to spend some time reengineering what they did to be on the safe side. Mainly removing that sway bar to prevent it from further damaging your oil pan, and those engine mounts look on the unsafe side.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

one thing i see. looks like your firewall was beat back like everyone else's. but i thought that i saw that mikespeed or chin said on chin's swap he didnt have to beat the firewall back. and isnt the XAT swap based off chin's swap?

im not quoting anyone or nothing and i may be wrong but i thought i read that somewhere.

and those welds do look like ****. looks like the welds i have on mine
Old 03-29-2008, 11:17 PM
Yop
Teching In

thats sucks man, I was going to hand over my parts (engine/tranny pull out and mounts) and have them do the rest of the work, I guess I should look elsewhere or just take my time and do it myself.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:04 AM
Teching In

wow that really sucks, Especially the spacer, EVEN I woudlnt use washers like that.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

damn that sucks..it sucks when people rig up ****..then u gotta go through and fix everything..like there wasnt enough money spent into it
Old 03-30-2008, 10:28 AM
12 Second Club

i wouldnt go there, they didnt even do that great of work on the sr20 motors. my buddy works at CARisma in orlando (dont worry mods, just a import shop) and they do awesome work. he says 1/2 his day is dedicated to fixing shortcuts made by xat and enjuku
Old 03-30-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fouz i never had to touch my firewall.

and that sucks man. this is why i always say if you want it done right (or know how ghetto its done ) you have to do it yourself.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kamin
Fouz i never had to touch my firewall.

and that sucks man. this is why i always say if you want it done right (or know how ghetto its done ) you have to do it yourself.
tranny tunnel i mean.

Last edited by fouz65; 03-30-2008 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Teching In

I cut about a 6in x 8in square out of the upper tunnel and built it up about 1/2 inch. No spacers in the xmember, the hood clears and the front sway bar *almost* fits. A little grinding on the oilpan and sway bar it'll clear.

Cutting > Hammering
Old 03-30-2008, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

how is there wiring because i just sent my harness out to them tonight to have it modified along with my pcm????
Old 04-07-2008, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

I would be pissed, especially about the washers! Sorry to hear about this, but thanks for letting others know. All shops make mistakes, but what they do after is how they are defined. They should deffinately honor thier work. Seems I see this crap more and more today, and its pathetic.

Last edited by GTOpowered240sx; 04-07-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Teching In

The car is being worked on now at redstar performance in Ga. redstarperformance.com The guy who works on the car now is ASE Master Certified and GM Master Certified and knows this topic inside and out. After he saw the work XAT did, he immediately advised me to not even drive the car on the road. Working with redstar has been worlds different than working with XAT because they actually take pride and care in their work. They treat your car as if it is their own. I would encourage everyone looking into this swap to give them a call.

They do the job right. Eli, the shop owner, is extremely meticulous and knowledgeable about the whole ordeal. I would give him a call and talk with him about it. I couldnt be happier with the work he has done in repairing XAT's work. The car is much more stable and the steering geometry is back where it should be. I could go on and on.

His number is (678) 342 - 4179. redstarperformance.com
Old 04-08-2008, 10:03 PM
Launching!

was it your car that still had the stock nissan clutch master cylinder in it and having clutch problems? eli emailed me about it and i gave him the part numbers i used for the wilwood MC and lines. glad you have it all worked out now, he said they basically had to pull it apart and redo everything and i cringed knowing what you'd already spent on the initial swap.

on the plus side you should love the LS7 clutch setup, mine has been great after about a year of punishment with non stop drifting (i love clutch kicks).
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Yeah that was me I love paying to fix what I paid for.....

So you're Erin then? You need to show me how to get my car onto Road Atlanta so I can see what she can do! I know they have club days and such, but I dont really know the ropes over there.

Yeah, I love the LS7 clutch, takin a bit of gettin used to, but its awesome. Eli did an AMAZING job on the car, couldnt be happier. Let me know about that Road Atlanta stuff man!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ramblin240
Yeah that was me I love paying to fix what I paid for.....

So you're Erin then? You need to show me how to get my car onto Road Atlanta so I can see what she can do! I know they have club days and such, but I dont really know the ropes over there.

Yeah, I love the LS7 clutch, takin a bit of gettin used to, but its awesome. Eli did an AMAZING job on the car, couldnt be happier. Let me know about that Road Atlanta stuff man!

maybe all of the other people you saved from wasting money there could throw you a few bucks? lol... in a perfect world maybe?

i'm glad they took care of you at Red Star, they are good people and Eli isn't the type to half *** something, let alone have it leave the shop. he knows the LSx like the back of his hand, and i can help fill in the gaps for the 240 stuff
Old 04-09-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

I don't understand why someone would pay so much money for a swap, isn't doing it part of the fun??

In all seriousness though that SUCKS with xat. You should definitely try to spread that through the 240s forums and make sure people know to avoid them like the plague.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fouz65
one thing i see. looks like your firewall was beat back like everyone else's. but i thought that i saw that mikespeed or chin said on chin's swap he didnt have to beat the firewall back. and isnt the XAT swap based off chin's swap?

im not quoting anyone or nothing and i may be wrong but i thought i read that somewhere.

and those welds do look like ****. looks like the welds i have on mine
i remember hearing this too, about the 'based on chin swap', but chin didnt use half the things xat did. like ka mounts, subframe spacers, or firewall treatment. Neither chin or mikespeed did that (iirc), they only modded the tunnel.

its not the boogered welds that are so bad, its how the tubes line up. they aren't even butted together edge to edge.

nice intake though

Quick Reply: XAT's LS1 Swap