Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need Help Pulling Pinion Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need Help Pulling Pinion Bearing

I am attempting to pull a pinion bearing and having no success. The bearing is so tight that the legs of my very large puller are starting to bow. I have minimal experience at this and wonder if there is some trick I need to know. Should I be tightening the puller or the splitter? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Need Help Pulling Pinion Bearing-ppb.jpg  
Old 03-28-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most real parts stores and auto shops have a press that will do it in a few seconds
Old 03-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Banned

I agree about the press.
If you're setting up a rear you might want to hone that bearing out for a slip fit, when you find the right shim THEN press a new bearing on.
This will save you several trips to the shop that has the press.
Even if you had a press it's a better idea to make a slip fit bearing, this way you're not pressing it on and off several times.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the advice, guys - I will take it to a shop with a hydraulic press. I have a slip-fit bearing but I was testing to see if I could install a new bearing with my five-ton arbor press - it went on but I can't get it off. I am still surprised that my big puller isn't up to the job.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

I found a 20-Ton bottle jack for only $30 and had some steel channel lying around so my son and I made a press that did the trick. I discovered that this type of jack won't work inverted.
Attached Thumbnails Need Help Pulling Pinion Bearing-homemade-hydraulic-press.jpg  
Old 03-31-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice work, i know even with my arbour press when i pull off carrier bearings they dont come off easily, youd think they would slide right off, naah, it ususal results in the bearing just letting go and the carrier shooting down onto a pile of rags below the press

Quick Reply: Need Help Pulling Pinion Bearing