Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Computer in A4 Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default T56 Computer in A4 Car

I have most of my parts together to do my A4-T56 swap.

I've done some research here, and see that after the swap, I need to do something with my PCM so the car's computer is not confused by the new trans.

I can get a computer from a '95 T56 car for $75. Can I install this in my car with no issues? Do the computers carry vin data or anything?

I know the other option is a reflash, but swapping a computer out sounds pretty easy to me.

Thanks for any help.

Dave
Old 03-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Launching!

Wow, no one knows if you can put a T56 computer in an A4 car instead of having your A4 PCM modified?
Old 03-30-2008, 09:21 PM
wrencher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can put a 4L60E A4 calibration in the PCM. The wiring harness/wiring to the trans has to be intact for it to function of course.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wrencher
You can put a 4L60E A4 calibration in the PCM. The wiring harness/wiring to the trans has to be intact for it to function of course.
Thank goodness for a response lol

Not sure I understand it, though. My car is an A4. I am swapping to a T56, but I know that will throw off the speedo and have driveability issues. I know people get their PCMs reflashed for this.

But I have access to an entire computer from a T56 car of the same year...can I just swap computers?

Maybe I am not explaining my question well?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:50 PM
wrencher

Aaah I mis read it lol. You can put a T56 calibration in it. look at the thread at the top of the forum that is sticky'd for A4 to t56 conversions.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/200480-m6-a4-a4-m6-conversion-info-requested.html
You have to wire the car for the trans reflash the PCM & then your all set!

Last edited by wrencher; 03-30-2008 at 11:51 PM. Reason: additions
Old 03-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wrencher
Aaah I mis read it lol. You can put a T56 calibration in it. look at the thread at the top of the forum that is sticky'd for A4 to t56 conversions.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200480
You have to wire the car for the trans reflash the PCM & then your all set!
lol, thank you.

I spent a lot of time reading through that conversion sticky already. That's where I learned about the need to reflash the PCM.

Your most recent answer here makes it seem as though I STILL need to reflash the PCM even if I use a T56 computer, correct? That part is confusing me...maybe because I don't fully understand the role of the PCM within the computer of the car...?

I do know about the various wiring chores that must be done for the harness as well.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

It might be cheaper to do the reflash. Just pull the comp out when you start the swap and it will be back in a few days. And I don't think they are any driveability issues, just the speedo being way off, but I could be wrong.

Good luck with the swap, I should be starting mine soon

Edit* check out ebay for the pigtails that you will need. They are alot cheaper than GM and are probably made by the same place
Old 03-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Thank you for the info.

I have not checked, but I hope that I have all the pigtails I need. The guy I bought my trans from left the connectors on the T56 with a few inches of wire for each one, to make it easy for the buyer to hook everything up. I'm hoping they are all there.

Dave

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
It might be cheaper to do the reflash. Just pull the comp out when you start the swap and it will be back in a few days. And I don't think they are any driveability issues, just the speedo being way off, but I could be wrong.

Good luck with the swap, I should be starting mine soon

Edit* check out ebay for the pigtails that you will need. They are alot cheaper than GM and are probably made by the same place

Quick Reply: T56 Computer in A4 Car