Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Custom Dyno Tune compared to Mail Order

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Custom Dyno Tune compared to Mail Order

I have a 98 z28/a4 with a few bolt ons like a MagnaFlow Cat back, SLP intake package(lid, K&N Filter, smooth bellows and aluminum duct), Ported throttle body, and SLP fan switch. I really want to get into my car more and swap out the the manifolds for some generic long tubes, pull the cats and get a LS6 manifold. But,when I do that I would want to remove the rear o2 sensors and my air system. So, I know I would need all that crap deleted from the ECU. It could be done by a local tuner place for about 700 Bucks or for a 3rd of the cost a mail order place like PCMforless. What kind of a difference would I see between the 2?

Will my driveability be effected by all of this? Also, what kind of average power should I expect with all of this? Right now I should be right around 300, give or take a few.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by samson_420
I have a 98 z28/a4 with a few bolt ons like a MagnaFlow Cat back, SLP intake package(lid, K&N Filter, smooth bellows and aluminum duct), Ported throttle body, and SLP fan switch. I really want to get into my car more and swap out the the manifolds for some generic long tubes, pull the cats and get a LS6 manifold. But,when I do that I would want to remove the rear o2 sensors and my air system. So, I know I would need all that crap deleted from the ECU. It could be done by a local tuner place for about 700 Bucks or for a 3rd of the cost a mail order place like PCMforless. What kind of a difference would I see between the 2?

Will my driveability be effected by all of this? Also, what kind of average power should I expect with all of this? Right now I should be right around 300, give or take a few.

700 bucks for a bolt ons car? geez, I need to revisit pricing again...

For the difference in cost and the small HP gain (for a boltons car) it's really hard to say that full tuning for $700 is worth it over a mail order service. Hell, some places charge less than that for 3bar speed density tuning turbo setups!

Maybe do some "shopping around", certainly there is somewhere to get a boltons car tuned for 400 or less.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:01 PM
9 Second Club

If you don't have any type tuning equipment that you are familar with then don't waste your time with a mail order tune. Spend the extra money on a dyno tune and be done with it. One example would be I just recently had a cam installed in my car. I had a mail order tune from a vendor tailored for my combo. First pull on the dyno only to 6k and the car was running about a 14.0 across the board until 5800 then it spikes to 15 something then goes rich like to 10. Car made 372 first pull, after dyno tune got the car around 12.9 - 13.0 across the board and made 392. I'm not knocking the vendor AT ALL, it's just you can't know how every car will react. As far as cost goes in my area, $400-$600 for a dyno tune.

Last edited by Carter01; 03-29-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the input. That's also what I figured. The few hundred dollars more is worth it. Oh well, I will just wait untill I get more cash.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

400-450 is about the avg here in cali. no way would i pay for a dyno tune that is ridiculous
Old 03-29-2008, 10:19 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carter01
If you don't have any type tuning equipment that you are familar with then don't waste your time with a mail order tune. Spend the extra money on a dyno tune and be done with it. One example would be I just recently had a cam installed in my car. I had a mail order tune from a vendor tailored for my combo. First pull on the dyno only to 6k and the car was running about a 14.0 across the board until 5800 then it spikes to 15 something then goes rich like to 10. Car made 372 first pull, after dyno tune got the car around 12.9 - 13.0 across the board and made 392. I'm not knocking the vendor AT ALL, it's just you can't know how every car will react. As far as cost goes in my area, $400-$600 for a dyno tune.

Yeah but you have a cam and he has stock internals... A mail order tune is well suited to a boltons car.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Well, hell. I will start with the exhaust soon and go from there. Depending on how broke I am, then I will decide on mail order or a true custom tune.