Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot heads using bad valves?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot heads using bad valves?????

Waiting to see some results for the patriot heads. Poking around some threads I read about all the heads that went out have bad valves??? I was really hoping patriot would come through with a good product since I am looking into heads and why not save a bunch doing it. Patriot says they are using SI valves. what is SI valves? I never heard of it. Does any one have anymore info on this? is it a big concern?
Old 07-26-2003, 10:37 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Patriot heads using bad valves?????

Man that would suck having to tear into the engine again to remove the heads and replace the valves. I would not be too happy about this...
Old 07-27-2003, 12:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

they use ferrea valves and they also have their own brand that they make...SI is most likely sodium something? like what the LS6 valves are so they are lighter.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:21 AM
Launching!

they use ferrea valves and they also have their own brand that they make...SI is most likely sodium something? like what the LS6 valves are so they are lighter.
I would think SI probably means "stage 1" - as in stock valves or stock size valves? I doubt they are using sodium filled valves in low priced heads like these. Na is the chemical symbol for Sodium, Si is the chemical symbol for Silicon.

I have no better idea on what "SI" valves are than anyone else, just posting my thoughts...
Old 07-27-2003, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow, i just looked in the sponsor sect. seems like guys are pulling their heads back off to replace valves. There were also more problems with bolt holes lining up. I heard Patriot bought all of their heads right out of the cast and is doing all their own taping and machining. i guess you get what you pay for.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

First, We are not machining the heads.The heads are GM.We do not machine the castings.Second, Some of the Intake valves are weak on the tip of the valves.This was the valves we had manufactured for us.I do not make the valves.We are now using REV or SI (stainless Industries) silver line valves.Every set is not bad,I felt that everyone needed to know they might have a problem.Race heads are purchased without a warranty.I'm offering to replace the valves,Replace the heads gaskets and give some $$$ for their trouble.There is no longer a problem with the valves.All of those heads were shipped a couple of weeks ago.These kind of problems can happen to anybody,GM with a bad batch of cams,comp with a bad batch of springs.The problem was found early,everything will be corrected before someone damages their engine.I care about service after the sale.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Thats good to go Terry!

Old 07-27-2003, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

cool we were both wrong i can't wait to get my patriot heads
Old 07-27-2003, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

Blaming patriot for bad valves would be like blaming any other head porter for bad springs back when the comp 918's had their problem. I think Terry has went "above and beyond" what most other vendors would have done. Check out what he did on my heads in the group sponsors area... now that is some customer service.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.sivalves.com/

This is SI's web site. I have used their valves before without a problem.
Old 07-27-2003, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

good to hear you back your product. It seems like every sponsor on this site has awesome customer service.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is some awesome customer service!! If I needed heads, I know where I would go!
Old 07-27-2003, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

My Dad's vette bent a valve and cracked a spring. I was waiting to see the outcome before I posted but Terry shipped him a new set of heads (SI Valves and 918 springs)and is paying the towing fee. Which is great but it is still a 1400+ dollar loss plus down time on the car. anyways it is sitting at Norris motorsports awaiting the new heads. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 07-27-2003, 02:59 PM
Teching In

not trying to fuel the fire, but Terry, how do you know if you got a set with the bad valves?i dont think i have any problem's with mine, i just want to make sure. thanx terry.
Must admit, have had nothing but compliments on the heads, and the price.

P.S. Keep up the good work
Old 07-27-2003, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think that its great that Terry is standing behind his product and is trying to stop a potential disaster before it happens instead of just waiting to see how many heads have a problem

good job Terry
Old 07-27-2003, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mike m what do you mean there doing there own tapping and machining, I also read some guys are having nightmares getting bolts to line up, I dont know if they are professionals though, All I know they are new to the ls1 market selling heads for unheard of prices, which is great but not at the expense of quality parts. I want to know what im putting on my car before valves fall into my motor and springs crack. You have to understand I love my car more than my wife {doesnt everybody} I just want peace of mind that what im putting on my car is quality
Old 07-28-2003, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

Which is great but it is still a 1400+ dollar loss plus down time on the car.
I'm in a similiar situation as you...I'm out $700+ because I had the heads installed. On top of that I don't have the tools to change out the valves (I was told I need a valve spring compressor,etc). I still have to figure out what I'm going to do now since I don't have the cash to have the heads ripped off, valves replaced, and then have them reinstalled.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike m what do you mean there doing there own tapping and machining, I also read some guys are having nightmares getting bolts to line up.
We do not machine or tap these heads.All of the heads are new gm heads.We buy valve train parts like everyone else,the valve problem is not something I could control.I purchased all new valves.This will not happen again.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was the one that complained about the bolt holes. I should have ran a bolt or a tap through the hole my mistake, or I was just off that day. I am mad that I have to take my engine back apart but Terry has more than went out of his way to make it right. I dont think you could name one sponsor over there >>>>> that would do this. I know because my freind got screwed by sponsor/GTP they ported the heads to far the sponsor made him call GTP and deal with them, he didnt get new gaskets, he didnt get any $$$, he payed the shipping, and we had to do all the. What happen with the 918 spring? Did those people get anything other than new springs? So give him a break, he could of dealt with this another way then you people would have something to complain about.