Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My M9 is garbage!

Old 03-29-2008, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My M9 isn't garbage!

Started working on getting the M9 in my car today, everything was going great, it looked like we would be finished around 4pm. That is until I tried installing the drivers side axle. I pushed it in and it stopped about 3/4" before the bearing was flush with the end of the axle tube. I didn't think anything of it because I had to tap the PS in with a hammer to get it in all the way, so I start tapping, but at 1/2" it won't go in any further. After a few more healthy taps I realize something is fucked. So I take a flashlight and look down the axle tube and I can see where the axle was hitting the ring gear. I figure it can only be two things, the axle is too long or the axle tube is too short. So I call the shop where I bought it from and I have them take some measurements for me of another rear that they have in their shop. Axles check out good, axle tube does not.

He got 28" and I have 27 1/2". I was so pissed, I had to put the 10 bolt back on just so I could roll it out of the bay. Not to mention all my time wasted assembling that thing and the high speed undercoating I put on it, and carrying that 150 pound (no axles) ****** up and down the stairs to my hooch, and the down time on my car.

Damn, I'm just lucky I have a truck for a DD or else I would have been really screwed. Does Moser not have quality control or what, and if they do why wouldn't they check the axle tubes, that is kind of important. Seeing as it's a Saturday I wasn't able to speak with Moser directly, just the shop I bought it through. They have been helpful so far, they said they will contact Moser Monday morning. I can already see what is going to happen though, they (Moser) are going to want me to spend my own money to ship it back to them so they can check it out, before they send me a replacement housing and reimburse me for shipping. I'm going to get a list together of all the other **** they will need to send me also, like the gasket for the center section, axle seals, and 5.99 cash for another can of undercoating damn-it. Maybe I can charge them for labor too, $85 an hour...alright maybe not but I would love to drop an invoice on that bitch *** so they can understand just how much trouble they have caused me.

OK, angry rant complete. Has anyone else seen this sort of thing from Moser, I always thought Moser was one of the top dogs so I am really surprised. On another note, it looks like the exhaust is going to interfere with the TA, I might only be able to get it to mount in the top hole, theres no way it is going in the bottom. It is Pacesetter headers and Y-Pipe, have any of you other M9 users had this problem? Sorry for the long post but I had to get it all out.

PS: Before anyone asks, yes I used the short axle on the drivers side.

Last edited by Z28Fistergod; 03-31-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Title Change
Old 03-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned

You're lucky they didn't screw up and send you axles that are too short. They would have worked fine but been quite a bit weaker.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy has to pay out of his *** to get a nice piece of equipment like this and than scre up that royally! Ya that sucks, but don't get too upset until you can talk to them directly. Try not to get your hopes up too much but hopefully they will do more than the right thing! These kinda things that I've read/heard about moser made me order a custom fabbed rear instead. Plus the associated install problems with them as well. Good Luck!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Websy21
A guy has to pay out of his *** to get a nice piece of equipment like this and than scre up that royally! Ya that sucks, but don't get too upset until you can talk to them directly. Try not to get your hopes up too much but hopefully they will do more than the right thing! These kinda things that I've read/heard about moser made me order a custom fabbed rear instead. Plus the associated install problems with them as well. Good Luck!
Fab 9 here to, to many negative stories about moser and the way they deal with problems, eric has been great to deal with!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

These kinda things that I've read/heard about moser made me order a custom fabbed rear instead. Plus the associated install problems with them as well. Good Luck!

i agree... sorry to hear about your troubles bud....good luck!!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I'm sure they will correct the situation, but they are going to want to do it on their terms and I want to do it on mine, I think I won't really have a choice in the end though. I just have one question for you, what rear do you have, because your sig says Moser 9".
Old 03-29-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear that...I hear alot of complaints about Mosers quality control but mostly is due to clearences of the 3rd members and having them noisy. I will eventually need a 9" but I think I will go with one of the fab units from Midwest Chassis and have them check it out before I install it.

Hop everything works out for you...good luck!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

being the weekend dont get to upset yet, it'll seem like an eternity. I'm sure they will work it out for you. BTW where do you live?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by getusumws6
being the weekend dont get to upset yet, it'll seem like an eternity. I'm sure they will work it out for you. BTW where do you live?
That's for sure, all I have on my mind right now is that stupid M9 and beer. I actually live on Ft. Riley, right between Junction City and Manhattan, you guys ever have any cruises out there? It seems like there aren't too many enthusiasts around here, besides the import crowd.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, my moser 9" is noisy as hell. I can't afford the down time on my DD right now though, so I kinda have to deal with it.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:44 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

A problem like this is very rare, as I have never had the housing be the wrong dimension. The head guys at Moser read these threads, with you starting this thread with the title that you did is not the way to reach out for help. Bob
Old 03-30-2008, 07:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
The head guys at Moser read these threads,
Are they taking notes on how/what to improve on OR are they taking notes on how to help this guy because he said bad things about them?

OR are they just reading them and not doing anything?
Old 03-30-2008, 12:00 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Are they taking notes on how/what to improve on OR are they taking notes on how to help this guy because he said bad things about them?

OR are they just reading them and not doing anything?
I am sure that they are going to look into preventing the problem that happened here. Moser is going to help this guy out because he has a problem that needs to be addressed. I am sure that they would be more inclined to go out of their way to help him out had he gone through the proper channels and not started a thread like this. Bob
Old 03-30-2008, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

A problem like this is very rare, as I have never had the housing be the wrong dimension. The head guys at Moser read these threads, with you starting this thread with the title that you did is not the way to reach out for help. Bob
Come on man, $3475 is what I paid for this thing, for that much money I shouldn't be missing a 1/2" of axle tube. It might be a little different for you since you work in a shop, you run into problems and you have connections. I get charged $5 an hour until I get a replacement housing unless I backtrack and put that god forsaken 10 bolt back on, which I had to do. As far as that title goes, well, it is garbage, I guess I could tell people it is narrowed 1/2" on one side. Besides, I am going through the proper channels, I called the shop, they will call Moser. After I got home I had to vent, that's what I'm doing.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

And to the...
...head guys at Moser...
...I will be sure to post up about your customer service when this problem is corrected.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:16 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,087 Likes on 716 Posts

That sux hope they rectify it quick.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That does suck man. I don't think that a company should decide to what level they will help a customer out on a defected product due to their irritation as a customer spending $3500 and not getting a quality piece. Imagine if you paid $3500 for 18" wheels and one of the wheels was a 17"?
Old 03-30-2008, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

If I owned a company that had a quality control issue like this, I'd be firing someone or they'd be paying for their mistakes out of their paycheck. A thread like this should be an awakening to what is going on, not a means to get pissed and not help a customer. If that is how Moser is, they have a rough road ahead. What I like to see is a customer flaming a manufacturer like this and the manufacturer stepping up to the plate and letting everyone know that they are making it right like many sponsors have done. This has been my 2 cents.

BTW, I work for a fortune 500 corporation as management.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am sure that they are going to look into preventing the problem that happened here. Moser is going to help this guy out because he has a problem that needs to be addressed. I am sure that they would be more inclined to go out of their way to help him out had he gone through the proper channels and not started a thread like this. Bob
You guys do great work and I know yall have business relationship with moser, but I am going to have to disagree. This website is supposed to be a reference for people who are buying parts for their car. While it does enable sponsers, such as moser, to market their products, that is secondary. BTW, if moser is worth its salt, this thread should have ZERO affect on how they handle this situation.

To allow a customers post on an internet forum to affect their dicission on the method of curing this problem would TRULY speak volumes about their business ethics.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 'Trust'
That does suck man. I don't think that a company should decide to what level they will help a customer out on a defected product due to their irritation as a customer spending $3500 and not getting a quality piece. Imagine if you paid $3500 for 18" wheels and one of the wheels was a 17"?
Originally Posted by 02 BLK WS6
If I owned a company that had a quality control issue like this, I'd be firing someone or they'd be paying for their mistakes out of their paycheck. A thread like this should be an awakening to what is going on, not a means to get pissed and not help a customer. If that is how Moser is, they have a rough road ahead. What I like to see is a customer flaming a manufacturer like this and the manufacturer stepping up to the plate and letting everyone know that they are making it right like many sponsors have done. This has been my 2 cents.

BTW, I work for a fortune 500 corporation as management.
Originally Posted by landonew
You guys do great work and I know yall have business relationship with moser, but I am going to have to disagree. This website is supposed to be a reference for people who are buying parts for their car. While it does enable sponsers, such as moser, to market their products, that is secondary. BTW, if moser is worth its salt, this thread should have ZERO affect on how they handle this situation.

To allow a customers post on an internet forum to affect their dicission on the method of curing this problem would TRULY speak volumes about their business ethics.
I don't mean to say that Moser as a company is garbage, just MY rear end. I agree if they are a quality company they won't let this thread affect how they deal with this, especially considering how many people are active members here on LS1Tech. I probably came off a little arrogant on my first post, but who wouldn't? This isn't just a minor problem here, I'm going to have to swap out the housing, and it's a decent amount of work to do so. As long as they are willing to work with me on this one I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them again. The way I see it is that you can't really judge a person (or company) until something goes wrong, that's when you get a real "feel" for their character, based on how they react.

Search this Thread