Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Use HEIMs with Flexible exhaust or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use HEIMs with Flexible exhaust or no?

OK, so here's an interesting question... As you can see I am doing a quasi-remote mount turbo setup. It will eventually be twins.

I am using a 10" piece of flexible exhaust tubing because the engine will rock pretty good. Should I then solid mount the turbo, or still use heims to let it twist a bit?

At first I thought I should use HEIMs for sure. But then, as I think about it, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the flexible exhaust? I think the whole assembly (exahust, turbo) would constantly be knocking around if I don't solid mount the turbos and let the flexible exhaust do it's job?

Thoughts?

Jeff

Old 03-29-2008, 07:18 PM
FormerVendor

There is no problem solid mounting the turbo if you have a flex section in your exhaust, as you do.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:22 PM
TECH Addict

Is that a cobra kit car? I agree with 69vette.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Excellent. I've been thinking about this (heavily, like an hour a day, drawing, jotting down ideas) and was about to order a bunch of HEIMs.

OK, next question... To mount is solidly I will probably fab up some kind of plate. Should I be considering other methods? I am worried too much metal contact from the turbo to the chassis with transfer too much heat....?

It's a Factory Five GTM.

Jeff
Old 03-29-2008, 10:16 PM
FormerVendor

On most of our cars we make a extra T6(of T3/T4 if thats what you have) flange and bolt it in between the header collector flange and the turbo. Our supports are then built to the this flange. The turbo is giving off radiant heat so either way, the surrounding parts are exposed to heat. If you are really worried about it, I have seen people drill/tap a few blocks of aluminum and tig them to the compressor housing. They built their supports to those blocks. Compressor side would not get as hot as the exhaust side if you feel it's going to be an issue.

Also you may want to consider picking up a turbo cover from forced inductions. It greatly reduces the radiant heat the turbo puts off.

Quick Reply: Use HEIMs with Flexible exhaust or no?