Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 3800 V6 is starting to annoy me... drivetrain swap difficulty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default My 3800 V6 is starting to annoy me... drivetrain swap difficulty?

I'm beginning to think I made a mistake buying my V6/A4 camaro. It wasn't very well taken care of by the previous owner and it is showing. Already had the lifters replaced at 108K, now at 110K there is a tapping in the engine again...now what is it! Not to mention the annoying long crank cycle and current poor gas mileage (22 mostly highway, you've gotta be kidding me!).

I've always wanted an LS1/M6 but that wasn't possible at the time (cost). I still don't have the money for it, but I'm just looking for opinions at this point.

How hard would it be to get a wrecked 98 camaro Z28 or SS with a good powertrain and swap the powertrain and all supporting parts (fuel pump, k member, cluster, console, etc) from it to my car? Should be easier/cheaper I'd think than buying the stuff separate since it would all be there, and would be cheaper than trying to sell mine as it stands for a loss and buy a Z28. How much would I be looking at (round numbers), for a Z28/SS that was totaled? Would like to get one without front end damage so no worries about a busted radiator or something like that, plus maybe even replace my fender and bumper that way instead of a separate job.

Opinions?
Old 03-30-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm guessing nobody has any idea
Old 03-30-2008, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sell your car and buy a Z. Unless you have all the time in the world to spare, it'd be cheaper.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...p+camaro+v6-v8
Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mavmavv
Sell your car and buy a Z. Unless you have all the time in the world to spare, it'd be cheaper.
I have a friend who works on cars (he's torn down and currently building up an el camino right now). If everything is there, together we could do it, just would need a place to do it at (lift would be helpful naturally). Depending on how much the wrecked car cost, I could have less money into it than trying to sell my car and buying a Z in good shape.

Like I said though, this isn't for right now, I can't afford anything at the moment. I'm just getting a feel for things.

Thanks for that link! Helpful stuff