General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

TA Seat Frame Durability

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 03:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TA Seat Frame Durability

On the post '98 TA's, how durable are the frames of the front seats? Specifically, what's the typical weight that the back rest can take before breaking a clamp or bending the frame?

A bulky old dump has the habit of leaning against the back rest as he gets into the front passenger seat. I've since set the rule of sitting first, then turning legs in. And then there was a much larger individual who was just choking the seat with his presence. If it weren't for the upgraded suspension, the bottom of the car woud've scraped the ground.

These cars are truly not meant for overweight people. See to it that only a lightweight girlfriend sits in your TA.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haahaha. I'm just over 6' tall and about 175-180 lbs. and seats are great for me. My wife is slim and light and passenger seat is in even better condition.

Be careful on the seat belt thing that is attached to the head rest. They break easy... I know.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Culby
Be careful on the seat belt thing that is attached to the head rest. They break easy... I know.

They only break if you use them as handles, they are not designed as handles.

TA seats, actually all f-body seats, suck. TA seats just suck less. These cars are not built for anyone over 200lbs. The fabric, cushion, and frame will give and get out of shape. The power slider on the driver seat will develop some play also. Unfortunately, it's the nature of this beast when all the R&D money goes into powertrain and none into anything else.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:27 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the frame gets bent or cushion loses volume, where besides the dealership can you go to have it refurbished? Is an average body shop ideal?

The 200lb limit comes in rather handy when picking out a girl to ride in your car.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

I don't need a car's seat limit to tell me to get a girl under 200lbs, thats for sure.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

I'm 6'8" and 300lbs. Haven't had any trouble out of the seats. My one precaution is that I don't use the seat motor while I'm in it. If my wife drives it, I just push it all the way back before I drive. No problems.