General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint

I have a feeling one of my ball joints needs to be replaced. When backing out of my driveway and wheels are all the way turned... it will shift to the side 1-2 times like a clunking noise. Also when i hit the brakes it feels like a rotor is warped or bent. Im sure most people know what i am talking about. My question is, is it worth it to try and change a ball joint myself? or rather just have it done at a shop. I have heard that shops will charge as much as 300? But IDK just asking. Thanks in advance
Old 03-30-2008, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

put your car on jack stands and grab your tire one hand on top and one on the bottom of the tire try to shake it and see if thier is any movement or put a jack to shpport the arm and stick a big prybar under the tire to see if you get movement if you have a bud have him try to move it while you look at the joints. you can also shake it from side to side to see if thier is any steering components that need replacing.
if your roater is warped just get new ones mine went pritty quick maby 50,000 they were toast.
And yes shops will charge you out the rear and probly find some other stuff to fix for you while its in haha come out with a $2000 bill but if you dont know how to work on stuff then dont thats why we have mechaincs.
do some reserch on it to see if its somthing you could do.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Tie Rod Ends. They go bad fast. Just replaced one of mine and now the other is popping. If that doesnt cure it im changing the other 4 ball joints...
Old 03-30-2008, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

thanks, ill check that out when i change my oil this week.