LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Gotta sick 'bird...?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta sick 'bird...?'s

I drove the t/a today and hit a puddle while its raining, car then procedes to miss (maybe, was acting funny) for a few seconds. It was fine for about a mile and then after stoping at a light for the second time it starts ideling ruff then procedes to die in the intersection. So I get the car pushed off the road and it wont do anything but turn over and make funny consistent popping noises every few seconds of cranking. It also backfired once and the engine made a clunk sound after that.
Is there anything related to getting water in the engine that can cause it not to run. I do have a CAI but I dont have that panel that is underneath the filter on the bumper cover...so it was kinda out in the open to the rain. I have driven it a couple times like this in the rain with no bad results. Just looking for some idea's, all help appreciated. Brad
Old 03-30-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How big of a puddle, did you splash it enough to get the opti soaked.. im sure that what every one is going to lean for...
Old 03-30-2008, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

I am pretty sure that it could have gotten wet. It was only on one side of the car but it felt like I hit mud, lol. But see I have done that plently of times in the 3 other LT1 powered rides I have had, plenty of times with this car in the past. It does however have a lower milage (73K) b body short block with its opti. Thanks for the reply, btw.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

If those vacuum lines to the opti are not hooked up and you drove through a puddle like that the optispark is 95% guaranteed destroyed.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do something very simple, take off your CAI and see if there is water in the tubing or TB... I dont know, worth a try
Old 03-30-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That little vacuum tube at the bottom cracks, or comes loose, or gets knocked loose by someone changing plugs or wires or something and next thing you know it sucks up a gulp of water and pop, cough, sputter you're stalled. Often it can dry out and the car will start again. Sometimes it can be more serious. Take a good look at it for leaks, try to dry it out and see if you can get it running. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Probally waited to long on the water in tb as I would be dry by now. Gonna go out there and see if it will crank now though...crossing fingers that it was just a sick wet opti...
Old 03-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Launching!

no first thing u NEED to do is go buy a new coil pack that is only about 25 bucks at the parts store instead of changing the opti which is gonna cost u a good $100 and then taking the water pump and vaccum motor off and **** like that.....its happened to me i promise....i went through a water puddle and it missed out badly and i got to an interesection at the worse time ever on a busy day right at 5pm whenever everyone got off of work...and it died at the light , and tried cranking it so many times and it sputtered and wouldnt do ****...got it pushed to the side of the road and had to jump it off cause the battery was already dead and NOTHING!! towed it home and first thing everyone said was "ITS THE OPTI ITS THE OPTI", so i changed the opti out with new water pump and after about 2 days of painful work,cusssing and getting pissed i got it all back together with my new opti on and it still did NOT crank did the same thing...so i just started replacing **** until i found out what it was....first i got my ignition control module tested, its was good and then they couldnt test my coil pack but it was only 25 for a new one so i got home and put the coil pack on and it fired right up.....OH WAS I PISSED OFF to , the whole time it was the coil pack .lol so yeh i recommend u change the cheaper stuff first before the opti.....GOOD LUCK
Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

'bout to have a **** myself I am so happy Went out side and it fired up without hesitation. Drove it around the block and redlined each gear and no prolems! Thanks for the replies!! Brad
Old 03-30-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

ya i can almost guarantee your filter got wet. makes more sense than the opti seeing as you didn't have the cover on, I'd get that on asap so that doesn't happen again.

oh and camarostripes- where are you getting opti's for 100$ lmao.. no way man more like $400