Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Cooler Lines) Where can I find them? (TC install)

Old 03-30-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default (Cooler Lines) Where can I find them? (TC install)

I'm about to put in my SS3600. I bought the cooler for it from jegs (B&M) and it didn't come with any cooler lines. So where should I get some and what kind should I use? I heard the rubber fuel lines are not recommended.

I'm kinda new to all this, so going into great detail might be appreciative haha

Then what do i use to attach them to the cooler etc.

Did a quick search, came up empty. I guess in my search I found people using braided lines....not sure if thats necessary though
Old 03-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get transmission cooler hose, it's rubber.
As for connecting it to the cooler just use hose clamps that are the right size.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just went to the parts store and got 4 (maybe 5 can;t remember) feet of "Transmission Hose" and used little hose clamps to hold it on. I drilled 2 holes and routed them through the air dam. I didn't attach the cooler itself for two reasons: I am terrified I may damage the fins and the way the cooler I have sits in there, if I hit something that makes the cooler fall out I would have much bigger problems to deal with. Its been in there for 3 years now with the stock converter and 2 aftermarket ones, so I'd say its OK.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Get transmission cooler hose, it's rubber.
As for connecting it to the cooler just use hose clamps that are the right size.
Where should I pick up a transmission cooler hose?
Old 03-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by allbaugh_04
Where should I pick up a transmission cooler hose?
Auto parts stores sell it by the foot. It's thicker than fuel line. Don't let them sneak you fuel line instead I had them try that once.
Most brands say transmission cooler line right on the hose, some don't and just have a number.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by super_fro_daddy
I just went to the parts store and got 4 (maybe 5 can;t remember) feet of "Transmission Hose" and used little hose clamps to hold it on. I drilled 2 holes and routed them through the air dam. I didn't attach the cooler itself for two reasons: I am terrified I may damage the fins and the way the cooler I have sits in there, if I hit something that makes the cooler fall out I would have much bigger problems to deal with. Its been in there for 3 years now with the stock converter and 2 aftermarket ones, so I'd say its OK.
So where is your cooler exactly?

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Auto parts stores sell it by the foot. It's thicker than fuel line. Don't let them sneak you fuel line instead I had them try that once.
Most brands say transmission cooler line right on the hose, some don't and just have a number.
OK thx a lot, i hope it don't run too much. I appreciate both of your guy's help.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

http://bowlingss.com/Mods/InstalRepa...pe%20Style.mht

I had much better pics of the "dope style" mounting of the b&m cooler on my other computer, but it blew up.

So then you have the b&m w/barbed fittings, not threaded? That makes it alittle easier. Just get the adapters for the stock lines, so theres no cutting, (threaded to barbed). Then run the hose and cut to length. Autozone should have the heavy grade hose you need.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hell'sChariot

I had much better pics of the "dope style" mounting of the b&m cooler on my other computer, but it blew up.

So then you have the b&m w/barbed fittings, not threaded? That makes it alittle easier. Just get the adapters for the stock lines, so theres no cutting, (threaded to barbed). Then run the hose and cut to length. Autozone should have the heavy grade hose you need.
I just got it out of the box...they are threaded...now what the hell am i to do...i figured it came with the lines so i wasn't worried when i ordered it.

That dope style looks interesting i might do mine that way, after I figure out what to stick in these threaded holes...some kind of custom fitting i can find at a parts store i hope....i can take pics if needed.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Doesnt seem like that thing would get as much airflow as you would like. Does it still perform well?..
Old 03-31-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
Doesnt seem like that thing would get as much airflow as you would like. Does it still perform well?..
Thats not my car, I have mine mounted up by the radiator, its just something I found in a search. But it should work good, since the air dam would be shooting air directly into it.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats not my car, I have mine mounted up by the radiator, its just something I found in a search. But it should work good, since the air dam would be shooting air directly into it.
I was thinking the same thing...thats why i might do it this way, but in front of the radiator should work just fine too i'd think
Old 03-31-2008, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

Call Transtrar Industries. They sell the Hayden rubber style hose that has a lifetime warranty that won't shrink, swell, or come apart. It's possible one of these vendors can get it and sell it separately, the line comes with the cooler. I mention Transtar as I have purchased this stuff for 30+ years and it's outstanding. Use as little rubber as possible just in case the track tech has a limit just like fuel line, (12"). No offence to the general part stores, they don't sell dependable TRANSMISSION rubber line. If the vendors here sell Hayden coolers, they should be able to get the line. It usually comes in 25' spools for us shops. Another piece of advice is if you mount the cooler in front of the radiator, cut (4) 1" sections of hose. Place these between the radiator and the cooler with the supplied zip ties. This will give you an air pocket between the cooler and the radiator for better cooling. I've seen 20-30 degree drops in temps doing this. Plus, if you had to remove one or the other for repair, just cut the hose in the middle and replace it when reinstalling with new rubber and zip ties. You won't hurt the fins. Hope this helps.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 382ssz28
Call Transtrar Industries. They sell the Hayden rubber style hose that has a lifetime warranty that won't shrink, swell, or come apart. It's possible one of these vendors can get it and sell it separately, the line comes with the cooler. I mention Transtar as I have purchased this stuff for 30+ years and it's outstanding. Use as little rubber as possible just in case the track tech has a limit just like fuel line, (12"). No offence to the general part stores, they don't sell dependable TRANSMISSION rubber line. If the vendors here sell Hayden coolers, they should be able to get the line. It usually comes in 25' spools for us shops. Another piece of advice is if you mount the cooler in front of the radiator, cut (4) 1" sections of hose. Place these between the radiator and the cooler with the supplied zip ties. This will give you an air pocket between the cooler and the radiator for better cooling. I've seen 20-30 degree drops in temps doing this. Plus, if you had to remove one or the other for repair, just cut the hose in the middle and replace it when reinstalling with new rubber and zip ties. You won't hurt the fins. Hope this helps.
Well maybe I could stop at a local mechanic and pick this stuff up instead of getting it shipped to me.

The rubber inbetween the radiator sounds like a great idea, thx for the advice.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 382ssz28
Another piece of advice is if you mount the cooler in front of the radiator, cut (4) 1" sections of hose. Place these between the radiator and the cooler with the supplied zip ties. This will give you an air pocket between the cooler and the radiator for better cooling. I've seen 20-30 degree drops in temps doing this. Plus, if you had to remove one or the other for repair, just cut the hose in the middle and replace it when reinstalling with new rubber and zip ties.
Well, I went out to take a picture of where my cooler was and dropped the friggin camera. So I got no pictures because it broke. But, other than just using the little pads they sent with the cooler (never thought of using the hose) the way he explained it is how I have mine mounted.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by super_fro_daddy
Well, I went out to take a picture of where my cooler was and dropped the friggin camera. So I got no pictures because it broke. But, other than just using the little pads they sent with the cooler (never thought of using the hose) the way he explained it is how I have mine mounted.
Aww that sucks dude, i feel responsible

Search this Thread