General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Clunk

I think I broke a motor mount but have no lift to put it on and see. Anytime I get on the motor real good... It seems like something is slamming the bottom of the car... Only under full acceleration and when shifting. Just would like to know if anyone has ran into this.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check your torque arm mount on ur transmission, as well as ur tranny mount.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

I looked at the tranny mount and it looked fine, but I could be wrong. I know this is going to sound very "noob" of me... but where exactly is the torque arm mount? And will it look really obvious if something is broke? I greatly appreciate the help. I am a noob to the muscle car deal so thank you.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

torque arm mount is on the torque arm but more than likely its your trans mount even if they look good they usually are bad so just replace it and the torque arm mount.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

torque arm mount is located on the drivers side of the transmission. just follow the torque arm from the rear end, to the tranny, and the mount will be right there. check for loose bolts etc

like jsteel said, prob ur tranny mount. get under there, support your transmission and then undo the 4 bolts on the tranny support and the single bolt on the mount. then see if the mounts broken etc.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

I appreciate all the help guys. I took it to a local shop here called G-Force and they checked it out... Turns out you were both right with the tranny mount. They are going to put a polyurethane one in it for me. Once again... Thank ya'll
Old 03-31-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you dont need a lift to put it on realy some jack stands or ramps so you can get under it and a large pry bar lift up on the trans to see if the mount is broken sometimes it looks fine but it may be split or seperated. if its a motor mount try to find a spot where you can see the mount and pry up on each side to see if it has split or seperated.
A clunk can come from the u joints also just see if you can move your drive shaft up and down.
Just some ideas hope it helps.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Black2001ss ... It is the tranny mount and the clunk is actually the tranny hitting the floor pan. They also said this is pretty common with the automatics. They are going to put me a better one in there so we hope nothing else breaks soon...
Old 03-31-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

VERY common with both trannies. I CAN tell you that the poly trans mount SUCKS!! They are durable but are noisy as hell, unbearable on a DD. I took mine off immediately. Poly motor mounts + rubber trans mount = happy (tiny bit more noise, almost unnoticeable). The opposite setup is HORRIBLE! Poly motor plus stock tranny greatly reduces the torquing the trans mount takes which will extend the life also.

Trust me on this one, just finished dealing with this.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

The bad clunck is now GONE!!! I have not heard any loud noises out of the poly trans mount yet either... It is a little rougher and I can feel that but no noises... keeping my fingers crossed