Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

old rear end in new f body????

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 11:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default old rear end in new f body????

I know the width is different, but what about the mounting brackets from a 3rd gen f body to the new z28's, has anybody done this, I know the old one wont have abs, and tcs, but will it really make the car brake different or will there just be an anoying warning light on the guages, btw, the rear end is a disk brake, I dont have the green to spend on a new one, but a buddy of mine has a 12 bolt just collecting dust, and mine's been on borrowed time for.................. waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long!, thanks
Old 07-29-2003, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: old rear end in new f body????

When you disable the ABS (or disconnect it), you will likley have brake bias problems (locking the rear brakes). You could use a proportioning valve in an effort to correct this, but you are starting to spend money again......
Old 07-29-2003, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is weird my ABS has been out for almost 2 years and I notice NO difference from stock. strange...
Old 07-29-2003, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

Neither do I !!!
Old 07-30-2003, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

ok, so I mite az well pop this ***** in and see how it goes, I dont have ls1 edit to take care of any warning lights, we'll see
Old 07-31-2003, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

u will have no problems if ABS is not hooked up, just no ABS in rear and ur light will be on in ur dash.
Old 07-31-2003, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

u also cannot edit the ABS light, it just stays on. if u do not want it on then ur going to have to take the bulb out from ur gauge cluster. if the gears are different then what u have now then there will be a problem. ur speedo will read wrong (faster if higher gear and slower for lower gear) plus it'll mess ur milage up (it'll count more miles for a higher gear and not enough for a lower gear) but LS1 edit can take care of that.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

if you guys want to know a little trick I learned that will keep your mileage right where its at, but the speedo wont work, this is of corse reversable, I had this done but I got like 3 speeding tickets in 2 days cause of this, I didnt mark off on my tach about how fast I wuz goin. pm me for details