Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam/Head Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam/Head Questions

Well it's about time I'm thinking about doing a cam/head swap and I just want to make sure I have it all down. I'm thinking about going with a big cam such as the MS4 and maybe some AFR heads, drivability isn't a problem, though I do drive it every day it's not an issue to me. I know with the MS4 you really shouldn't be shifting until around 7200 RPM's, which is extremely high, is it much worse for my engine than a cam with a lower powerband? I am going with all supporting mods along with bolt ons and hopefully I can get a Fast 92/90 setup sometime in the future. I know I shouldn't even be considering a big cam if I have to ask but what kind of gas mileage will I be looking at? Also, I'll be going on the bottle in the future, how does the MS4 handle it? Oh, one more thing, I know the MS4 is extremely close clearance wise, is flycutting recommended and if so how much does it cost to get my pistons flycut? I imagine it's not a cheap thing to do, thanks in advance.

Grant
Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would contact some of the vendors ( at least 2) tell them your goals they will set you up I called thunder and asked them, because in the end your going to take thier advice or at least you should IMO.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

What all have you done to the car already? Heads/Cam doesn't sound too expensive, but everything included to boost the car's performance with the H/C package adds up fast, as I've learned. You will need the boltons, which you understand already, and you say supporting mods, which I would guess to be springs, rods, oil pump, timing chain, rod bolts, and gaskets (lots of that can be included in H/C packages from the vendors). With that ~500hp motor you will also need a new clutch if you have the stock one still as well as a stronger rear end than the 10 bolt; the stronger rear ends like the 12 bolts are $2000+ new, and may be hard to find used. If you go new then you get to customize your own setup though (4:10 or 4:xx gears), so that is advantageous.

Gas mileage with 500hp and 4:10 gears = booo. 15/23 I'd estimate. If you're easy on it maybe something like 17/25, but who goes easy on 500 horsies?

As for flycutting you may be alright with the ms4, depending on the size of the combustion chambers. I haven't researched that cam but I see a lot of people with it that will surely chime in about what size is safe for it.

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I've talked to the people at HPE so far and was looking at the Head/Cam packages at TSP, and at this point I'm leaning more towards the Megadeath cam and as far as heads go I'm not too sure. I'll have header, exhaust, and lid done by the time I have the cam/head install and I'm replacing the clutch sometime real soon seeing as how mines already slipping. That gas mileage isn't too bad at all, I figured it'd be a lot worse. I'm going to eventually go with a Fast 92/90 but like I said I have no idea when I'll have the money. Also, the Megadeath is a reverse split if I'm remembering right and isn't that better for nitrous? If so I'd like to go with a 150 dry but like said it's never just as cheap as the nitrous kit . So much to consider, I might as well just take the plunge cause the thinking is just killer lol.