General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

OPINIONS WANTED: car idles rough and how to fix it, I think...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OPINIONS WANTED: car idles rough and how to fix it, I think...

okay, trust me i have done so many searches, and have come up with some good direction and stuff, but just wanted to go ahead and put this out there....sometimes on cold or first starts, my car will not idle and blows out tons of smoke, then it warms up and all is right in the world!!!! it has a slp lid on it, and slp headers on with the block off plates, it has NO rear o2 sensors, and the air pump hoses are just hanging, the one coming up that is supposed to go into the air box, just sitting there not plugged, the one going over the drivers side fender plugs into a plastic housing, the drivers side hose is gone, so the housing has a open plug there, the one going over to the passenger side has the hose attached but open at the other end....i dont think the car was ever tuned after these bolt ons, it is throwing a p0410 code. the fuse for the pump is still in, so i dont know if it is trying to work or not, also one person told me to reach to the back of the intake and feel for the "T" thing and unplug it and plug some 1/8th hose coming out of the wiring harness into it? whats this "T" called and add from pics i have found, what is that wire plugging into it.....so anyway, do you think some of these things are causing my car to run poorly ever so often? thanks in advance!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would get a tune since you do not have the rear 02's sensors and you have headers.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look for the stickys and write ups that show you how to delete the AIR and emissions systems properly. The pump needs to be removed and everything blocked off. You also need a tune to cut the codes for the AIR/Emissions off. Also it will take car of your rear 02s. The "T" thing is a vacuum line behind the intake, if it is loose and loosing vacuum it will cause idle problems. Did the previous owner try to delete the pcv system as well? If it is not blocked off properly it will cause issues to.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CoastieWS6
I would get a tune since you do not have the rear 02's sensors and you have headers.
I agree, seems a great place to start.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Logic tells me the smoke is coming from something being in the combustion chamber that shouldn't be there.Maybe oil?Maybe a valve seal leaks sometimes so oil in the valve cover gets in there?Don't know if this can even happen on a LS1.Maybe a leaking injector?Just thinking aloud.