Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Coolant problem

Old 03-31-2008, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Coolant problem

This is not really FI related, my set up is a ls1 with 6.0 heads ls6 cam and bolt ons t76 turbo. Heads and new gaskets were just put on about 6 months ago but the cars only seen about 10 mins run time and no road time because i got the car running but it was not driveable. Over the weekend i got the car to a drivable state and started to warm it up. Car was in N, well under 200 degrees 170 ish and starts smoking, and it smells like coolant. I check everything and i couldint figure it out so i give it about 25% throttle and under the load more smoke comes out so i turn the car off. I look at the WG witch is dumped into the atmosphere and theres smoke coming out of that so i run my finger in the exit on the wg and theres coolant inside the WG. I check the oil on the car and it looks like the brand new moble 1 i just put into it. I Top off the rad and let it run more after it cools down. I let it get to temp and i gave it a lot of gas and dont see any more coolant coming out. The oil still looks like brand new oil and i let it run for about 5 mins the second time. Is this head gasket failure? I payed for new head gaskets when the motor was built, also i was reading could this of happend because they used
ls1 head gaskets under my 317s? Anyone have an idea of what it could be? Thanks
Old 03-31-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it sat that long could be condensation buildup inside the motor....just let it get warm and idle for 10-20 min or so. if you can park the car at an angle so the condensation will drain out the exhaust pipes.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Oh sorry i wasant clear enough. The motor was built 6 months ago, the cars been running for the last month, ive just started it up for a min or so a few times to check things on doing my swap. The motor is in a chevelle. The day before this happend the car ran for a few mins with no problems.
Old 03-31-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default ??

Originally Posted by MECHAM
if it sat that long could be condensation buildup inside the motor....just let it get warm and idle for 10-20 min or so. if you can park the car at an angle so the condensation will drain out the exhaust pipes.
If the condensation is "normal", it should not have antifreeze in it...
It's not a good idea to use antifreeze to start a new engine. Start it w/ plain water. Then, if there's problems, you don't have a/f eating on the brgs....
Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Anyone got any ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant problem