Sponsored by:

Paging Nic00Z28M6: New Timing Table

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 09:09 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Paging Nic00Z28M6: New Timing Table

Back in 01/28/03 a in a thread entitled "Idle hunt: too much timeing or what" I believe Nic hit on the missing element to making these cars idle well with a cam when cold. He said:

"If you notice the timing doesn't actually go up at idle to the regular values in the current tables until it warms up a bit. In the new version of LS1edit that is going to be released there is another timing vs coolant temp table that could possibly be used to give it more timing on a cold start. We shall see."

I believe I have verified this theory by doing a lot of logging with EFILive5. Does anyone know anything about this missing table or when a new release of LS1edit including this table might be out, or if it already is?
Old 07-27-2003, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Paging Nic00Z28M6: New Timing Table

Cal- Tom Garland posted a Dump of this file to the LS1Edit list a couple of months ago. I'll email it to you( Spark vs Coolant Temp xls file). They said,at that time, that it would be in the next version of edit?
Why do you think it will help?? Nevermind-I see (get) it.
joel(Bink)
Old 07-28-2003, 12:40 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

OK thanks Joel, I got that file and I'll have a look at it in the morning. My car is idling pretty good now, but it still idles low (by 100 rpm) and hunts a bit before going into closed loop. After looking over some log files in detail, I can see the PCM jacking the ignition timing around, but the injector pulse width is right where it should be the whole time, telling me fueling is not the issue. Every time the idle speed surges up, it's a result of increased timing, and vice versa. On a cold start, the PCM refuses to give the engine more than 17 or 18 degrees, then when the ECT hits 100 degrees, BOOM! PCM jacks the timing up to 30 degrees and engine idles steady at 950 rpm, right where I have it set. That's even before it goes closed loop. I edited in an extra 5 degrees of timing at 800 rpm and below, but the PCM seems to ignore this until the ECT comes up a bit.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:17 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Hi, oh yes I remember saying that long ago. I still believe that having this table available in LS1edit will help a bit and I have verified that long ago that in the morning on startup the timing is very low compared to when it is warmed up. I do not believe that this will help a whole lot though if the tune is right on to begin with by adjusting the VE table at idle appropriately.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:06 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Nic, thanks for the response. Sounds like you solved your problems by adjusting the VE. I've got mine at 80% 1200rpm and below. Are you saying VE affects timing? What do you have your VE at?
Old 07-28-2003, 05:20 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Yes, back around that same timeframe towards the beginning of the year I started playing with the VE table and studying its effects on idle characteristics, starting, coming to a stop when pushing in the clutch, etc. That is why I never really mentioned or brought up that table again because it turns out I didn't need it when I had the VE table properly adjusted. I have noticed that what needs to be done to the VE tables varies quite a bit depending on the car and it's mods. Hell it can vary quite a bit between two cars that are pretty much identical in configuration. For my particular car I have the 400 rpm values set to 60%, 800 rpm values set to 70%, and 1200 rpm values set to 90%. This seems to prevent a lot of the high idle stall problem that a lot of others have had. I also changed some of the air flow values, iac, etc as well but my idle is stock at 800 rpm with the TR 224/112 cam. It starts and idles pretty much like my car did stock.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

OK Nic, thanks again! The progressive way you adjusted your VE is something I hadn't thought of. I'm going to try that next. I noticed 60% @ 1200 rpm was too much, but the way you've done it progrssively may well be the answer.

On another subject, I went to your web page and noticed you've done the LS6 PCV mod. I did this also, but haven't put enough miles on the car to see if there is going to be an improvement in oil consumption. Have you seen any difference yet?
Old 08-02-2003, 01:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to run mine at:
400 rpm values set to 50%,
800 rpm values set to 60%,
and 1200 rpm values set to 70%.

And it still does not start first time everytime, but pretty close.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:27 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the input AZLS1. Since my last post on this thread I went to 60%, 70%, and 80%, but I still smell raw gas though much better. I think I'll try your 50-60-70 and see what happens. I've never had starting issues; for that there's crank VE and Open Loop FA mix also. What are the specs of the cam you're running?