Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Irritating noise.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:15 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Irritating noise.....

I have a fresh built LS1 in my car. I just put it in and had a little noise I think that was the converter. I pulled the tranny out and fired the motor no trans. It idles fine and when pulled up to about 2K it sounds fine. (exhaust in on car.) However when it idles I hear a irritating non-stop noise that sounds like it is comming from the flex plate. Is it possible for that to make noise while ideling with no tranny or am I just being paranoid.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Describe the sound other then irritating. Is it a tapping or squeaking?
Old 04-01-2008, 02:41 PM
9 Second Club

It is somewhere between rubbing and grinding. I can tell it is coming from under the car. I am just wondering if the flex plate is making a more noticeable noise because the trans is not on the car.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is exactly the same noise that my engine is making it started after i had a new tranny built iam thinking its the flex plate cracked i dont know what the tranny guy did when he installed it its like a knocking sound and rubing only at idle but when you rev it it goes away
Old 04-02-2008, 02:53 AM
9 Second Club

I am not sure where it is coming from but it is still there when the motor is running and the trans is not in the car. I have been told that it might be a bent flex plate. The trans has been in and out of the car so much it may have just stressed it. I know it is not cracked so I am going to replace it anyways to see if it goes away....Any other ideas?