Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

i think my stock clutch is going out !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool i think my stock clutch is going out !!!!

my 01 ss camaro lags realy bad in 1st and 2nd gear and recently i hear a clatering sound coming from the drivers front side for some reason ...how do u know it going out ?how long can i drive it like that ? and what performance clutch should i go with? and any extra info would be great thanks guys !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Travel at 20mph or so. Put the car in 4th gear. Floor it.

Tell us what happens.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
Travel at 20mph or so. Put the car in 4th gear. Floor it.

Tell us what happens.
What he said any higher gear from a lower speed if it revs at all and dont feel like its gaining mph to rpm then it's on its way out. A popular clutch set-up right now is the ls7 clutch but what are your plans for the car and mods and everything needs to be in concideration when choosing your next clutch setup. I am not sure anyone will feel safe to tell you how long it will last my stocker lasted 2 or 3 days slippin but who kno's how long yours has been doing so
Old 04-02-2008, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

I dont really understand what you mean by lags in 1 and 2 gear tho ? Can you explain better ?
Old 04-02-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Resident

lags I would guess he means it revs up and doesnt move much faster... that clattering noise is probally your throw out bearing rattling around
Old 04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

I never had 1 and 2 worse then a higher gear ? interesting. Clattering could also just be the trans making a lot of noise mine does it and always has and I have been in quite a number where the trans were pretty loud. with clutch in makes less noise then clutch out in N
Old 04-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Teching In

it lags in the way of when u engage it and shift it to first gear it dosent take off it slowly picks up speed and then u feel it wehn you hit 3k rpms i dont know y. the car is mostly stock . my goal for it is to reach 400 + hp .it is not tuned .it has so far suspension adjustable torque arm , relocation brackets, and panhard bar all bmr made. and a exaust {flows}, k&n intake, and strut bar. the motor is fully stock would like to begin that soon. i hope this info helps .....anything else letme know !!!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

I have never felt that when any of my clutches were going out you may want to seek further attn. just to make sure there is not more of a problem I dont think there is but better safe then sorry. Also on your clutch swap make sure you replace the master and slave cylinder to 2002 style to preven sticky clutch pedal syndrome LOL. Ok that being said the ls7 clutch setup is good as well as mcleod and spec I recommend spec stage 3 tho if you go with a spec, I have had problems with stage 2 specs may have just been a bad batch I dunno. AS far as starting other mods I would start with a nice set of longtube headers many brands to choose from. then of course the rest of your exhaust to make that biatch breathe better, true duals are nice but do minimize ground clearance quite a bit thats why I don't have them, but if you don't go with td's go with a catted y and a decent catback. What year is your car by the way ?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS king
it lags in the way of when u engage it and shift it to first gear it dosent take off it slowly picks up speed and then u feel it wehn you hit 3k rpms i dont know y. the car is mostly stock . my goal for it is to reach 400 + hp .it is not tuned .it has so far suspension adjustable torque arm , relocation brackets, and panhard bar all bmr made. and a exaust {flows}, k&n intake, and strut bar. the motor is fully stock would like to begin that soon. i hope this info helps .....anything else letme know !!!
So, Have you tried having it in 4th or 5th and doin 40-50mph and mashin it to the floor it's the easiest way to see whats goin on, what year and what miles is on the car ?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

So, Have you tried having it in 4th or 5th and doin 40-50mph and mashin it to the floor it's the easiest way to see whats goin on if it gains mph with rpm your good if it revs and slowly gains mph then no, what miles is on the car