Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Setting Backlash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Backlash?

I'm getting my Moser axles in tomorrow and will be hopefully installing them tomorrow night. For those of you that didn't read my last post, I had a little accidente and bent the right rear axle. I'm going to replace both axles and to be on the safe side go ahead and replace all bearings. I'm also going to go ahead and replace the bearings on the posi inside the dif. as well. I've been reading through a lot of my books and none of them say anything about "setting backlash". But I've heard a couple guys here at the forum talk about setting it. If I need to set this what all do I need to do? Thanks guys. If any of you want to shoot me an email today or tomorrow during the day you can reach me here: breese@fountainpeople.com If anyone wants to help out I'm in the San Marcos/New Braunfels, TX area. I'll supply the food and the beer.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Setting Backlash?

you want to set your backlash at .008-.010 with a dial indicator. I'll send you a PM and you can call me.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not waste your time with replacing the bearing on the carrier. If you damaged the carrier bearing (bearing on the posi inside dif,) you would have destroyed the housing as well. It's not hurt. Put the new axle and wheel bearing in/on and get going.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds good. Thanks guys. destroyerSS, shoot me over an email at: breese@fountainpeople.com
Old 07-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Launching!

if your rear was set up properly to begin with there is no need to set back lash. If you want to pull the carrier to inspect it just make sure you get the shims back in on the same sides that they came out off.