General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery Voltage? The problems never end!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Voltage? The problems never end!!!

Aright guys heres the full story. last week i picked up a 2000 SS M6 with only 45k miles on it. i buy it, then drive it three hours home without a single problem. about 5 days after i got it home, i noticed the battery voltage was getting lower and lower every day(right at 13 actually) I had the battery replaced, and today replaced the alternator myself. After all that, the voltage is still right above 13!!!! it was halfway between 13 and 18 when i first cranked it after the alternator install, but then after cruising for about 20 miles remained firmly right above 13. When i got the new battery and was heading home, the car kept wanting to stall, so i kept burning the clutch and kept the RPMs as high as possible. Now i am currently running seafoam through the car, and then plan the change all fluids after it is completed. What could be the cause of my newfound problems? I havent been ******* it and have been driving it as normally as possible, about 2 grand shifting. On another note, i also lost the alternator bracket bolt and now need to order a new one, but from where? Also, the car was only driven 4000 miles in the last few years, so that could have something to do with it. I really appreciate any advice you guys have! thanks
Old 04-02-2008, 06:01 PM

Just a thought but maybe its a spark plug problem?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

I think you are assuming a connection between two problems that may or may not be there.

It's normal for the volt gauge to show higher when it's cold i.e. when first started, or cold outside. A normal warm range is just above 13, just like you are seeing. It will fluctuate with load, temp, and RPMs.

A stalling or near stalling concern is probably not electrical since you are seeing good readings on the gauge - though it doesn't show amps which is more important.

Change your fuel filter and air filter. 45k, plugs should be OK, though it wouldn't hurt to change them due to age.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alternators are supposed to be between 13.5V and 14.5V. I’m guessing on this, because I’m not there to see it and I’m just going off what you’re saying, you could possibly have a bad connection somewhere. Check your connections, and grounds, on your electrical system. When the car starts to hesitate, what happens if you just let the car come to an idle? It’s pretty easy to check some of the stuff with a voltmeter rather than just part swapping.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your voltage is normal. Cold starts @ around 14ish, normal crusing @ 13.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 2002 SS #476
Alternators are supposed to be between 13.5V and 14.5V. I’m guessing on this, because I’m not there to see it and I’m just going off what you’re saying, you could possibly have a bad connection somewhere. Check your connections, and grounds, on your electrical system. When the car starts to hesitate, what happens if you just let the car come to an idle? It’s pretty easy to check some of the stuff with a voltmeter rather than just part swapping.
Ive given up actually. Triple A is towning it tomorrow for free to an alternator shop. its probably just a bad connection somewhere but who knows. thanks for the advice anyways bro.