Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New Guy building a HybridZ

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Guy building a HybridZ

Names Nick, I'm building a 71 Datsun 240z up to avoid the smog laws and other crap that CA has. My other car is an 88 Rx7 Turbo that put down ~360 rwhp. And of course the DD, my $800 Bmw that I'm practicing body work and paint on so I don't fk up my Datsun, since I've come to realize after spending nearly $5k on bodywork and painting I am only let down by numerous imperfections (My Rx7).

Anyways on to the good stuff:

I'm taking out a loan to fix up my Datsun and drop an Ls1 into it so I can build up my credit even more and pay off the loan when I part out/sell my Rx7 whenever the Z is finished.

Motorwise I don't have any set power goals. I just want to get as much power reliably out of the engine as possible, while retaining the awesome highway gas mileage. (I've seen reports of fellow Z owners getting around and above 30 mpg highway which is my goal.)

All of my knowledge thus far on the Ls motor and mods to it are from the book:
Dyno-Proven GM Ls1 thru Ls7 Performance Parts
For sure I' plan on upgrading the heads, cam, valve springs and pushrods, intake manifold, throttle body, and MAF...oh and can't forget the Diablo Tuner

From this book I've been looking at mainly:

Holley 90mm throttle body
Fast LSX Intake and port and polish it a bit
RHS 210 or AFR 205 heads
COMP XR265HR cam (0.522/0.529 lift, 212/218 duration, 114 lobe sep)
COMP Springs and pushrods
...and I'm limited to block huger headers for fitment issues in my engine bay
Ls-2 Timing chain or something a bit more fancy like that 2 chain setup
Ls-6 oil pump or something better...

other than that I'm not all that sure. I will remove the heads when I get the motor, but don't really want to do a full on rebuild and get into the internals work like forged pistons or anything.

This is all I know from reading that book...I'm going to be browsing around and asking around what mods would fit my needs best. And I don't have to keep all the emissions equipment so hopefully I can simplify things a little bit.

Oh and also, I'm looking for an 01+ lower mileage Ls1 with the T-56 transmission if anyone knows any reputable sellers. So far I've just been looking on ebay.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

sounds great,post up some pics
Old 04-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Im sure you know about hybridz.org right?
Forged internals would be great, but not necessary in my opinion. With the mods listed above you're going to be around 400hp to the wheels and totally reliable, my 98z28 puts out just shy of 400hp to the wheels with the stock bottom end at 86000 miles and never has a problem. 400hp is a lot in a z car, I had a FAT 280zx with a turbo putting out 270hp 300tq and it ran low 13's all day. A lighter car with more power would be scary, in a good way of course. I think the z rear diff, halfshafts and frame will be your limiting factor. Might need to do the r230 swap. Take lots of pictures and keep us updated.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

If 30mpg is your goal your probably going to have to leave the motor stock. I don't see a cam and heads getting near that, as a matter of fact I'll guarantee it.

My cammed SS didn't get BAD gas mileage ie ~20 highway but that's definitely not 30 either, add some heads and you're doing some more MPG damage. Good luck with the build.