General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AC compressor clutch rebuild possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC compressor clutch rebuild possible?

I know it's a long shot, but I see that Advance auto parts sells replacement bearings for ac clutches for our cars. Anybody have any experience with this?

My AC has worked fine except for the noise. I'm guessing not possible, but any way to take just the clutch off and replace the bearing? I have done a bunch of searching around and it seems 300+ for a compressor, $? to pump out my 134a, a new dryer and orifice tube I think it was, new 134a refill, looks like I'm looking at over 500 if I do it myself and approaching a grand to pay a shop to do it?

Anybody have any suggestions how to take care of this with out spending half a mint?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow I found this article online, seems to be about what I'm looking for. It's for a hummer, but seems to be close to what I'm looking for. Any other help is much appreciated. Figured I'd post this article to help anybody else that might find it helpful.

My other choice...from what I've read, it'll only make the noise when the ac is off, so maybe when the weather heats up I'll put the ac belt back on and turn the ac on for the entire summer, hopefully the noise will not happen while the ac in on, then when it cools back off I'll take the belt off agian. Just a thought.

I'm still gladly open to any suggestions on solving my situation for reasonable cost.

http://flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/...llyService.htm
Old 09-02-2008, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Did you ever figure this out? I think my clutch has gone bad as well. Anyone?
Old 09-02-2008, 07:40 PM
TECH Resident

you can buy a whole new clutch for the compressor.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can remove it but you will need tools just for this. You can't just yank it off the shaft.

Quick Reply: AC compressor clutch rebuild possible?