Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

panhard bar, adjustable or on-car adujustable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default panhard bar, adjustable or on-car adujustable?

ok so ive been reading posts about how adjustable panhard bars are something good to look into when lowering an f body. so i looked on stranoparts.com and there is an adjustable one and an on car adjustable one. im guessing the on car one is better for only 30$ more but i want to see what you guys have to say.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a difference of $30, why would you not get the on-car adjustable one?

-Mike
Old 04-04-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get the on car adjustable. It is worth the little extra.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by lt1noob
ok so ive been reading posts about how adjustable panhard bars are something good to look into when lowering an f body. so i looked on stranoparts.com and there is an adjustable one and an on car adjustable one. im guessing the on car one is better for only 30$ more but i want to see what you guys have to say.
If you need to adjust the rear end in your car side to side only the adjustable one will allow you to do this. For the small price difference it's a no brainer....

On a side note we have these on sale until Monday Here is a link to the sales page-

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/taxrefundsale.htm

Allan Miller
President
BMR Suspension
www.bmrsuspension.com
(813) 986-9302
Old 04-04-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats what i figured, was just making sure.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

On the car adjustable just makes more sense to most because it just saves time and effort. A standard adjustable is every bit as good, and a few ounces lighter, but takes more time to get setup.

Of note, you'll notice that the UMI on the car adjustable I sell has the adjuster at the end, not in the middle of the bar making for a stronger part IMO.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-04-2008, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

imagine undoing one end of the panhard bar then having to pry the rear end to line it up, then jacking the rear end up, checking, and repeating over and over until you have it lined up just right.

go with on car adjustable.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Adjustable for sure.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

If I understand the question correctly, you are deciding on the on-the-car adjustable versus the off-the-car adjustable. If you intend on changing the geometry of the rear often, it is easier to use the on-the-car unit. If you do not intend to change often, the off-the-car is cheaper, and you only have to get it right the first time. It takes more work, as mentioned previously, but then you are set.
And Sam is correct (as always), get the unit that has the adjustment at the end. It is a stronger unit (basic physics and consideration of lever arms).
Although the question has not been asked, you might want to investigate rod-rod versus rod-poly ends. Almost all report that the rod-poly units are quieter on the street. And avoid the poly-poly units, they do not allow the articulation required for these units.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
On the car adjustable just makes more sense to most because it just saves time and effort. A standard adjustable is every bit as good, and a few ounces lighter, but takes more time to get setup.

Of note, you'll notice that the UMI on the car adjustable I sell has the adjuster at the end, not in the middle of the bar making for a stronger part IMO.
yea im actually buying it from you same with my lowering springs. well once they come in stock
Old 04-04-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
If I understand the question correctly, you are deciding on the on-the-car adjustable versus the off-the-car adjustable. If you intend on changing the geometry of the rear often, it is easier to use the on-the-car unit. If you do not intend to change often, the off-the-car is cheaper, and you only have to get it right the first time. It takes more work, as mentioned previously, but then you are set.
And Sam is correct (as always), get the unit that has the adjustment at the end. It is a stronger unit (basic physics and consideration of lever arms).
Although the question has not been asked, you might want to investigate rod-rod versus rod-poly ends. Almost all report that the rod-poly units are quieter on the street. And avoid the poly-poly units, they do not allow the articulation required for these units.
nah i wont be changing it often, its just ive read a few posts that basically said its a necessity when lowering a car.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lt1noob
nah i wont be changing it often, its just ive read a few posts that basically said its a necessity when lowering a car.
Even though my car was not lowered, the right side was off by 13/16" compared to the driver's side. Since you have been researching, you probably already know how to measure it. It took me three adjustments to get it correct, but it has not budged since. JMO, I did a lot of research and discussion on the rod-rod combos, which is all I found for on-car adjustables, and decided the risk of noise was not worth it for my (relatively) quiet car.

Quick Reply: panhard bar, adjustable or on-car adujustable?