Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone mess up a block by head bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone mess up a block by head bolts?

I just installed my new heads using ARP head bolts. I spend hours cleaning up the block, pistons and getting the fluid out of the holes. When I was installing one bolt I heard a cracking noise . How do I know if I broke thru the block with the bolt? What will happen? I am putting it all together just hoping it was just dirt on the thread.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 04-05-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,

Which bolt was it? have you tried to remove it yet?

Also,

Did you chase the threads to clean them and ensure that you had all the coolant out of the bolt holes? The holes are blind tapped and therefore must not have any coolant in them or you can crack the block.

R/

Frat
Old 04-05-2008, 12:35 PM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Bill, was the bolt already starting to get tight and bottomed out when you heard the noise? The ARP bolts/washers tend to make some "creaking" noises from friction turning when you start getting some bigger torque on them. If you torque in steps, it'll be fine torquing to 35lbs ft, but after about 60lb ft, it will be "jagged" feeling and make those noises, even with ARP lube. Not all will do that maybe one or two per head. The ARP studs don't do that, just the bolts.

Edit: If it did hydrolock and crack, you can normally see a hairline crack in the side of the block with a flashlight from below. Check right under that bolt and down the side of the block towards the pan area. Might be hard to see if its under a motor mount. The ARP's do not have the "thread sealant" like stock bolts do, so its not a 100% seal even if water was in the hole, while you can hydrolock an ARP bolt also, it seems to be less likely as the pressure can escape slightly past the threads as your tightening.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
I just installed my new heads using ARP head bolts. I spend hours cleaning up the block, pistons and getting the fluid out of the holes. When I was installing one bolt I heard a cracking noise . How do I know if I broke thru the block with the bolt? What will happen? I am putting it all together just hoping it was just dirt on the thread.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill, I will attempt to be a voice of hope! My stock replacement headbolts made all sorts of creaking and snapping noises in the initial torquing to 22ft lbs. Once I reached that point, and the bolts actually started snugging up it went away. I hope it turns out to be the same thing that happened to you. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya, did you use any moly lube?

and if you a important fastener starts "jumping" you dont have enogh lube and you will have a in accutte reading with a tq wrench. The head/washer "jumping" fiction will click off the wrench before its tq right.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by studderin
ya, did you use any moly lube?
Yes I used ARP Lube on all washers and threads.

Bill
Old 04-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Restricted User

auCH! did you blow all the coolant out of the bolt holes? If not you may have cracked that block.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by socmguy
auCH! did you blow all the coolant out of the bolt holes? If not you may have cracked that block.
I used rolled up paper towels and then air to make sure they were dry. I just finished putting everything back together. I brought it up to temp for a little while. No leaks and I do not see any coolant in the oil. Maybe I am OK. I will know more tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.
Bill
Old 04-06-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

If I did crack the block what would I see (leaks, etc)?

Bill
Old 04-07-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

I changed the oil today and took it out for a drive and tune. It runs great. Did not get on it too hard. I wanted to take it easy until I get the tune closer. I do not see any leaks or water in the oil. Am I safe? I sure hope so.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Bill
Old 04-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Launching!

I'll be the ray of good hope for you

I say your OK

Quick Reply: Anyone mess up a block by head bolts?