LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

student on a budget build (could use tips)

Old 04-05-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default student on a budget build (could use tips)

Alright, so last night my car was idling fine then out of the blue it started making this weird metallic sound while idling (when I gave it a quick little rev it go louder) so I pulled it over into a gas station the sound COMPLETELY went away and the car was fine again. . . .I’m worried something in the head dropped and I’m royally fuxored – I got it home and parked it and since I work so close to home I think I’m going to walk to work for awhile. . . .Limit my driving whatsoever . . . my problem is I’m trying to save 1,500 in the next 5 months (I can do it perfectly fine but now with this issue I’m worried I’ll need to rebuild the motor too) if I don’t spend money on gas and just pay my insurance payment and pull my motor apart I could possibly get it all done still have the 1500 for living when I move to Houston. But it all depends on how much it’ll cost me to possibly rebuild my motor.

Here’s what I’d like to do. . . .
Keep stock short block (take it to the machinist see if they say if I could still use it and if it’ll last awhile longer)
Have the heads rebuild (thought about a LE1 cam heads package but would like other opinions)
New timing chain
Oil pump
Electric water pump
1.6 rockers
LE ported intake
Figured that was a decently priced build around 3,000 – but if anyone has some tips on what I could do to rebuild the motor (and heads including springs, retainers, valves, rockers, lifters, rods, ect ect) please fill free to help me out.

I guess what I’m asking is what do you guys thing would be a decent cam/head or even cam upgrade/rebuild for my motor. . . .I want to have it done by the end of the summer before I move to Houston and I plan to try and reuse what I can from my motor (if that’s at all possible)

estmate of complete motor rebuild costs and of course i'm going to add the +500 dollars to whatever else we arn't thinking about. . .to the final cost

Search this Thread