General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need Help Engine Runs Very Rough

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Need Help Engine Runs Very Rough

Ok, I have done some searching and cannot find anyone who has had my specific problem. I was going down the road at a good cruising speed the car was running fine. The check engine light started flashing. When I came to stop and tried to take off the car would not rev and sounded as if a couple of cylinders went dead(bad miss). I pulled over immediately and checked the code. All it threw was a PO336 which is for the crankshaft position sensor. I towed the car home changed the sensor checked my plug wires and plugs no change. I bought a set of headers awhile back and had not put them on yet so I stuck them on thinking maybe one of the cats went bad, no change. The engine doesnt make any funny noises just shakes real bad like it has a cam in it or it is miss firing. All I have is a lid, cat back, headers, off road y, cat eliminators, and I have removed the egr and air. All this was on except for theheaders when it started acting up. It was throwing cat codes before that was the reason for the eliminators. I have hptuner but I am a newbie with it. I am planning on checking the coils tomorrow to make sure they are firing but wouldnt they throw a code if they werent? Like the title says HELP.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you said it was running fine... now it sounds like it is missfiring, I would have to agree with checking the plugs. When you said you checked all of the plugs, did you pull all of them? The reason I'm asking is that I had a similar problem and it turned out that I hadn't seated #8 right, and it worked itself loose. Good Luck
Old 04-06-2008, 01:32 PM
Teching In

Yea, I pulled all of them they looked fine but I am thinking of changing them. I have TR55IX thinking about going to TR6. I am checking out the coils today. Maybe something will slap me in the face.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Since you said you havent found anyone with the same problem, i thought id just tell you that im right there wit you. My car does the same thing, possible problems i've been told are my fuel injectors, plugs, or possibly plug wire burnt by headers.

I NEED HELP TO< PLZ GIVE ADVICE
Old 04-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Teching In

I went out last night and looked at the readings from the different readings using HPtuners Scanner. The voltage on the right bank O2 stayed lower then the right. Could this be a sign there is a problem with the O2? It was doing the same thing before the header swap. I have one laying around that I bought earlier for that I am going to try. Would this be causing my problem?
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Hustler00
Yea, I pulled all of them they looked fine but I am thinking of changing them. I have TR55IX thinking about going to TR6. I am checking out the coils today. Maybe something will slap me in the face.
Change the wires TOO!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ended up having a cracked #4 spark plug when i had the low rpm hesitation under load and slight shaking! i had jus changed to tr55IX and ended up have a cracked cerramic portion on the plug which made a misfire. check the injectors as well man. and change the o2 sensors! if you still have the rear o2 sensors swap them to the fronts because they are the same! and also check the resistance on each plug wires! maybe they arent clipped in all the way? or one is maybe burned from the headers? let me know if u need more help
Old 04-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Teching In

I put granatellis on it last year when I installed the TR55IX's. Car ran much better. There was nothing wrong with it then just wanted to do a tune up(100K miles). If it a wire I am going to cry. They are not cheap. Yea, I still have the rears. I havent had a chance to try them yet. I just read that another was having a similar issue and it might thave been MAF related. Could a bad MAF cause my symptons? I do not have one to swap out. Is there a way to check it?
Old 04-08-2008, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

my car does kind of the same thing, the wierd thing is that the ONLY time mine will do this is after i wash the car. Is will start goin to a very low idle and act like its goin to die when im sitting in drive, and when i start to go, it wants to stutter some then picks up. But it only does this after i get the car wet whn washing, does it about a day opr 2 aftrer then runs fine till i wash it agin. have no clue whats goin on, maybe a snsor is getting wet or sumthing
Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Vacuum leak.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Teching In

I havent had time to touch my car. But, I have a data log I took last week. From this it looks to be the right side O2 that is the problem??? What do yall think???
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
00Z.hpl (9.4 KB, 71 views)
Old 04-24-2008, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Exclamation Update

Ok, I changed the plugs, the right side O2 and checked the plug wires all of that is good now. I also checked the pinouts for the crank position sensor and they are fine. Still have the same issue. I decided to check the coils to see if they were firing. #2 was not so I swapped it with another coil, it didnt work. I will check the wiring now I guess.

Last edited by Hustler00; 04-24-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

I had the same problem. It turned out to be a piece of the foam that seals off the airbox had came loose and got stuck on the MAF wire. Unplug your MAF and see if there is any change, if not then its probably the culprit.