Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would I need a new tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would I need a new tune?

Hey guys I had a question regarding my planned mods. Currently i'm running a lid, cutout, nittos, 4.10s, ported throttle body, and short throw in my 98 trans am. I want to do a set of long tubes, intake such as ls6 or weiland, tr224-114, and possibly a 100 shot. I was wondering since money will be limiting me from doing all these mods together, if I had the car tuned after the headers and cam how much difference is made with the intake and the possible 100 shot? Would there be enough change to warrant yet another tuning session? If it's only a few horses, I wouldn't bother because the car is mainly for the street and i'm not counting every tenth and would want it tuned mostly for n/a, I just want it to run pretty strong.
Old 07-29-2003, 09:50 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Would I need a new tune?

My car ran very well with no tuning after the TR224-114 install. It will be pretty rich at idle and lope pretty good at the stock idle speed. The PCM may throw a SES from idle missfire, although I have not had this. This will not be good if you have to pass an emissions test, but you could get by quite well until you can get it tuned. You should pick up 20 hp after tuning mostly due to having the rev limiter raised and more timing added.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Default Re: Would I need a new tune?

Also tuning can help some with getting a little more area under the curve. I'd just get the intake and do it with the headers and cam so you can get tuning at one time for those mods.