Sponsored by:

Important personal experience for those considering Comp-R Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Important personal experience for those considering Comp-R Lifters

For consideration...

I was just hired to diagnose a hammering valvetrain noise.
After considerable effort, I discovered one of the lifters to be jammed in the block.

This 346 motor (450 whp) was just completely freshened with rings, bearings, oil changes every 500 miles and only has 3000 miles on it. It had new Comp-R lifters, pushrods, oil pump, pistons, rings, AFR heads, new 224 cam etc.
The owner was meticulous in every conceivable manner about breaking in the engine carefully, low rpm warm-ups...etc. It has worked perfectly up untill...

Starts up the car after a normal day at work, and the valvetrain suddenly starts hammering.

Ugly failure has now heavily galled the lifter bore. Why would these "high quality lifters suffer a failure in the pin area (shifting out one side and into the block) with so little useage? Quality control? You be the judge.
The lifter did not rotate in the bore.

The owner is now faced with a huge labor bill, not to mention machine shop, engine tear-down and re-assembly. The real head-ache is that this motor is in a custom hybrid car and the re&re process is extremely tedious and time consuming.

I love to hear what Comp Cams has to say about this. Isolated instance? Production line quality control? Design flaw? Shitty deal any way you spin it.
I will never trust using their lifters in any builds I am ever in charge of from now on. In my opinion, this is unacceptable collateral damage.

see attached pics.
You can clearly see the side to side shift of the roller pin. That little movement will cause you immeasurable pain. Why is this pin design not captive by some mechanical locking mechanism????
Attached Thumbnails Important personal experience for those considering Comp-R Lifters-lifter1.jpg   Important personal experience for those considering Comp-R Lifters-lifter2.jpg  
Old 04-06-2008, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've already heard this were not good lifters, that's why I bought ls7 lifters. What a bad experience for that guy
Old 04-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Lifter bore damage question???

With a nice groove down the length of one side of the lifter bore in question, what is the downside to deburring the sharp edges of the groove, and just running new lifters? It could be a lot more cost effective if their is no significant downside.

Could the vertical groove affect the oiling pressure to the lifter or something like that? It is probably 50 thous deep, by the width of the pin, up the length of the lifter bore?

Any knowledable opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Trev
Old 04-06-2008, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any kind of failure just plain sucks. Good luck to the owner of the car.